Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Acer 5520-5912 backlight off, but CCFL and inverter good

This is a discussion on Acer 5520-5912 backlight off, but CCFL and inverter good within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have an Acer aspire 5520-5912 with NVIDIA nForce 630M video chipset, and AMD processor, The problem is three

Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I have an Acer aspire 5520-5912 with NVIDIA nForce 630M video chipset, and AMD processor, The problem is three weeks before i was using it, the screen turned black, but i could see display is working (without backlight) very dim, and after several attempts like folding and unfolding several times, it luckily came again to live. Then the problem was there for 1-2 days, then i restarted it again and again, once it came up and so and so...I dont know how it came, May be random attempt.

Then after that for one week, the laptop worked well without any problem, and suddenly 2 days back, the screen backlight had gone after flickering 1-2 times , my lucky trick never worked. I gave it for service, They said inverter, CCFL is fine, the problem is with Video chip, But i dont agree with them, since i checked with external monitor, it was working like charm. if video chip had failed, I would not have got display in external monitor.

But since they say the CCFL and inverter is good, i wonder what might be the problem, It is much confusing..!!

Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

You are right to want a second opinion.

Since you can see an image( dim) and it is fine when connected to the external then the graphics chip is most likely fine.

If you are not comfortable working on the laptop or trying to diagnose I suggest you try another shop.

Usually the most common cause of this is the inverter.

If not the inverter you can then look at the CCFL bulb.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

@ makinu1der2

Thanks. Yes i too suspect same, of CCFL or inverter, Is there any possibility for an rupture in cable connecting between motherboard and LCD, due to folding and opening of laptop?. Just an guess from an acer service personnel, in case CCFL, inverter are fine.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Normally when the cable is damaged it is usually around the hinge area.

You can closely inspect the cable for any damage.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

You may find this helpful How to replace LCD screen in Acer Aspire 5520 laptop >> Inside my laptop

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

service personal is arguing that inverter and CCFL is fine, and i had tested and confirmed video chip is fine , by external monitor. Latest update is, they say that.

There is two output from video chip, one to external monitor port, other to inverter, so that must be problem, I am confused. But i doubt whether there will be dual output lines from video chip?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi what about the the lid clip is there a physical one or magnetic if that where sticking it may cause a similar issue

Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

I have not found any physical clip, but i find two wires running on bezel on each side, without any reason, and ends in an simple film like steel, i think it is the thing which acts as an latch lock, but i am confused how it works. It would be helpful if you could send an link of any other magnetic latch switch, so that i can learn their principle.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Check the link from my previous post

Old 03-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Registered Member

yes, by seeing your above link, i have opened the LCD Thanks for the link. and is that the magnetic switch, which is in bezel with aluminium foil like with two wires running on each side? if yes, i will look into it now.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

No I would think that was for the inverter or backlight however the link shows you all the parts and I think it may be nearer to the top front of the lcd under the bezel