Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] 0xc0000185 BSOD, failed DSTs

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Neuwerld 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a HP Sleekbook 14 running Windows 8 that is getting a blue screen and always boots to the "automatic repair" cycle. The error code that comes up is 0xc0000185.

For reference:
0xc0000185, otherwise known as 0xc185 is a BSOD or STOP error that occurs when a computer fails to communicate with the Drive containing OS. A loose hardware connection or missing boot files may cause this hazard. Nonetheless, the PC halts during Windows boot, and denies any further developments until the issue is resolved.
Windows 8.x – Fix Error Code 0xc0000185 (BSOD) | Registry Recycler Blog

The only thing I've really been able to do is run the system diagnostics, and everything passes but the hard drive. It passed the SMART check but failed all three DSTs (short, long, and another which I forget). I took it apart and disconnected and reconnected the hard drive in case it was loose, but the problem persists.

I'm just looking into this as a favor (being the go-to person for these sorts of things in my circles), but apparently the issue began when the running laptop was struck/palmed by an infant. I suspect it may have been right over the hard drive.

Because of

1. the nature of the source of the issue (physical strike) and the fact that it is a sleekbook and thus has less protection
  2. the fact that the drive failed the DSTs
  3. the error code
I feel like the hard drive might be dead. Is this a fair conclusion? Any thoughts or ideas?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.