Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server

Windows 2008 Server, Unwanted Sleep mode

This is a discussion on Windows 2008 Server, Unwanted Sleep mode within the Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have turned off sleep mode every place I can find it (Screen Saver, Power Options ...) yet my Win2k8

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have turned off sleep mode every place I can find it (Screen Saver, Power Options ...) yet my Win2k8 Server continues to go into Sleep mode after only a few minutes of unattended operation. Really don't want system to go to sleep unless it's instructed to do so. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Is it hooked to a UPS? I've seen where having an underpowered UPS will cause this. Other things could be the BIOS itself causing it to go to sleep as well. What kind of server is it?

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Management Team Networking

Review the bios power settings. You may have a defective mainboard or power supply.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Not using UPS, server is fairly new and no other evident faults. If there is a particular BIOS setting your thinking of, please let me know. I've looked in BIOS and don't see anything related.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

In the bios power management setup you may have selections like acpi standby state or others that mention what to do for sleep/hibernate. Then check control panel/power settings for what maybe configured for sleep/hibernate. I disable all of those for server.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

if nothing in BIOS try these two commands from a DOS prompt:

powercfg -h on

powercfg -h off