Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server

virtualise external USB hard disk

This is a discussion on virtualise external USB hard disk within the Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I was trying to virtualise my extenal USB HDD with vmware convertor but it is not recognsing the external

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I was trying to virtualise my extenal USB HDD with vmware convertor but it is not recognsing the external hard disk. please help out.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Trying to virtualize an external HD? Why? VMWARE converter is for taking a physical computer and turning it in to a virtual machine. What is the goal?

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

I am trying to virtualise the physical computer right but there is a dependency on USB HDD (files in the external USB HDD are required for a program to run). So the aim was that for eg. my main OS is c: and the USB HDD is D: I can virtualise both c and d drives and my application works.. the problem is USB HDD doesnt detect in vmware converter. I am already thinking about workarounds but above was the primary issue.