Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server

SOHO Server 2008 VPN connection problems.

This is a discussion on SOHO Server 2008 VPN connection problems. within the Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have all the ports forwarded on my router to go to my "server" for the various VPN tunnels and

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have all the ports forwarded on my router to go to my "server" for the various VPN tunnels and I have Routing and Remote Access installed but I am not sure if I configured it right. No matter what I do I get an error 800. Im kinda new at this stuff so I am sure it something stupid and simple. I am using a DGN2200 router/modem and its firmware wizard is asking for a preshared key. I am not sure how to generate that or if I even need to mess with it.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

firmware wizard?

A preshared key concerns wireless encryption and is not related to a firmware update. You would never ever do a firmware update via wireless unless you like to turn the router into a boat anchor.

"various vpn tunnels" You configured the server as a vpn server? You only need to foward port 1723 to the static ip of your server for the vpn access. GRE can't be blocked by the router which is a ip protocol not a port.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

Do keep one thing in mind when testing, do it from a computer not on your internal network.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
firmware wizard?

A preshared key concerns wireless encryption and is not related to a firmware update. You would never ever do a firmware update via wireless unless you like to turn the router into a boat anchor.

"various vpn tunnels" You configured the server as a vpn server? You only need to foward port 1723 to the static ip of your server for the vpn access. GRE can't be blocked by the router which is a ip protocol not a port.

What I mean is on the router's firmware there is a vpn wizard. I am not referring to firmware updates. So in your opinion, you do not think the problem is with my router?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Management Team Networking

you write "ports". did you mean port?

error 800 indicates you were not able to make a vpn connection

if you hook a laptop to the routers lan can you establish a vpn connection to the server? if not the server is not configured correctly

did you set a static ip on the server? Is it what is listed for the port forward in the router?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

My server is statically located at 192.168.0.4 and I am able to ping it sucessfully. I am telling the VPN client to connect to my outbound IP address since I dont have a registered DNS name for it. I am beginning to think that its a problem with Protocol 47 pass through, maybe my router doesnt allow it since I see no option for it currently. Is there a way to DMZ 192.168.04 and then test it?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

I also failed to mention that I am trying to access the server via VPN from within my router's lan. Its actually a from desktop connected ethernet to the same router.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support

One question that comes to mind is the comment about the router having a VPN Wizard? Does the router itself function as a VPN Host and is that what the "wizard" does? Or is it a way to configure the router to allow for VPN Traffic to be forwarded to the corrrect VPN Host/Server?

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Registered Member

Well it supposedly is letting me forward 1723 to 192.168.0.4. As far as the server side, all I have to do is add the role of Routing and Remote Access through the Wizard right?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
- Microsoft Support

And make sure that the setting are correct for you environment, but basically yes. Make sure the server isn't running a firewall.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have just tried DMZing the server too... no luck. Maybe it is something with the server configuration. I basically went through and clicked 'next' with the Network Policy and Access role wizard except selecting custom and indicating VPN connection.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
- Microsoft Support

Are you trying to do this from inside the network? See if you can successfully connect from a computer outside the network, connecting to your public IP.

Closed Thread