Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is time sync required?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  winxp rules 
#1 ·
Microsoft Server Standard 2003 active directory domain.
XP Professional Workstations.

I have a piece of software that gets it date from the system it is running on. Since we add some of our accounting items one day late, we have to change the date on the computer so that the accounting software's date is correct.

However, this causes problems with authentication on the domain. Sometimes is just automatically changes the date and time back and sometimes the computers freeze and have to be restarted.

Is there any way to turn off the requirement to have the date and time synced across the domain so that I can change the date on the accounting computers with no repercussions?

#3 ·
Unfortunately I don't have the influence to change the business' accounting policy. I wish I did!

This software requires access to a share on the domain. Their workstations need domain access for other software they are using. I considered having them run the 'special' software on a virtual machine set to workgroup and having a network share with domain credentials for access to the data files for the special software.

So XP does need to sync with the domain timewise? No way around that?

#6 ·
Seems this issue is really more of a procedural issue within the company then it is a computer problem. The entire function of time sync is to ensure that all computers on the network are running the same time specifically so things like your accounting package DO accurately reflect when entries are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.