Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server

How can I determine the RAID level of a server?

This is a discussion on How can I determine the RAID level of a server? within the Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there anyway to determine the RAID level of a server without going into the Bios? Essentially I need to

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Is there anyway to determine the RAID level of a server without going into the Bios? Essentially I need to be able to remote to a server and be able to get the RAID level returned using command line/utility/etc.

It would most often be a Windows 2003 Server, the hardware vendor will vary.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. - Jay

Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

I don't think there is any general solution. You will probably have to take a look at the vendor's command-line-interface tools which usually are provided.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

The problem is that there is no single RAID level for a server because it applies to individual volumes. It is possible to have multiple RAID levels on one server.

Unless RAID was implemented in software the system won't even know that it is using RAID. A RAID system may make this information available to the OS, but it is probably going to be in some proprietary way.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks to both of you, I thought those might be the answers. Unfortunately checking the bios and using the vendor tools aren't solutions that I would regularly be able to use as I won't be able to physically be at the server to restart it and check the bios and the hardware vendor of the different servers may vary and might not have the tools I would need installed on them. Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am assuming you are using windows.

Most popular brands of RAID adapters come with GUI-based monitor/management software. You can try to install those, its only a one-off thing per server.

Then you can RDP/VNC into the server to use those tools. Also, they may come with failure-notification, being able to email you notifications/events. Do check those out to see if it fits your purpose.