Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server

Deleted files return after restart (Vista Business client on Server 2003 domain)

This is a discussion on Deleted files return after restart (Vista Business client on Server 2003 domain) within the Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good morning all Tried to search for previous entries before posting myself but my searches just kept timing out, oh

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Good morning all

Tried to search for previous entries before posting myself but my searches just kept timing out, oh well.

I'm running a Vista Business client machine on a domain controlled by a Server 2003 machine.

I have a couple of files on my desktop that I cannot delete as they always return the next time I boot up. This issue is isolated to these files alone, I can place and delete other files on my desktop that I can delete and never see again, but just not these particular files. I can also rename these files and duplicates will appear on reboot with the original filenames.

I realise this might be a bit of a sketchy picture from which to come up with a possible solution, but I will try and answer any questions to the best of my ability :)

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Does the user account you sign on with currently have a mandatory profile or roaming profile?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

I beleive it's a roaming profile.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

The first thing I would try is to see if you could delete those files off the profile on the server. Then restart the PC and see if they reappear.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks.

What I've done then was logged into the server and accessed my user profile folder by assigning ownership to the server administrator, deleted the files from the desktop folder and returned ownership to my user.

After a restart they've gone!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

No problem.

To prevent this issue from happening again, make sure that folder has Full Control for your domain user you log in with.