Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Resolved HJT Threads

Virus that sends links in emails?

This is a discussion on Virus that sends links in emails? within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have somehow acquired some type of virus on my emachine desktop computer (which runs Windows XP). It (apparently) gains

Old 02-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I have somehow acquired some type of virus on my emachine desktop computer (which runs Windows XP). It (apparently) gains access to my hotmail and aol mail accounts and sends out mass messages to a bunch of my contacts. The messages have no subjects but the emails themselves always contain just one single link, and this link changes each time the virus sends the email. One friend of mine told me that there were over 20 of these messages in her inbox at one time, over the span of only a few days. Some of the links it has sent are:

Removed suspicious live links.

(and these are just a few)
I have never opened any of the links it sends, so I do not know what they are, and I have never even heard of any of these sites.
I currently run Norton 360 and it tells me that everything is fine and that my computer is protected, but I know there must be another problem somewhere. Does anyone know what this is or how to get rid of it?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Management Team, Security Center & TSF Academy
Expert Analyst, Moderator, Security Team
Rangemaster, Moderator, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello and Welcome.

It's possible that a spambot has simply harvested the email address from somewhere on the net and is using it. It's also possible the machine has an active infection.

FYI, while we appreciate you're trying to provide as much detail as you can, I've removed the suspicious links from your post.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link I'll give you below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:
Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps
link at the top of each page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed. I currently have as many open topics as I can effectively handle; this will have you back in queue with the proper logs so an available helper would be able to assist.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.