Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Resolved HJT Threads

[SOLVED] Virus removal

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Virus removal within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Guys i downloaded Counterspy from piratebay and there was a nasty virus in the file.Symptoms are screen freeze after boot

Old 03-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Guys i downloaded Counterspy from piratebay and there was a nasty virus in the file.Symptoms are screen freeze after boot up,i can move the cursor around although when i click on anything the cursor arrow circle just sits rotating..Tried running scans with Nod32 ,Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware in safe mode but to no avail..If i were to restore to an earlier state would this help .I went to add remove programmes and it was giving me the 1 option to just change Counterspy,although i was promped to restore to an earlier state to access this change feature for some reason.Any help would be welcomed with this.thanks

Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank950 View Post
Guys i downloaded Counterspy from piratebay and there was a nasty virus in the file.Symptoms are screen freeze after boot up,i can move the cursor around although when i click on anything the cursor arrow circle just sits rotating..Tried running scans with Nod32 ,Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware in safe mode but to no avail..If i were to restore to an earlier state would this help .I went to add remove programmes and it was giving me the 1 option to just change Counterspy,although i was promped to restore to an earlier state to access this change feature for some reason.Any help would be welcomed with this.thanks
Ok think i got it..I booted into sfe mode again and used Malwarebytes file assasin to clear what i could from Counterspy then i restored to an earlier date and it seems to have done the trick.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Management Team, Security Center & TSF Academy
Expert Analyst, Moderator, Security Team
Rangemaster, Moderator, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Thanks for letting us know. This goes to show the perils of using torrents and cracked software from sites such as pirate bay.

Perils of P2P File Sharing

Cracked (Illegal) Software

For future reference:

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link I'll give you below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:
Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps
link at the top of each page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

As you have marked this thread Solved, I will lock it now.

Thank you.