Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Resolved HJT Threads

Blank screen after windows 7 splash screen

This is a discussion on Blank screen after windows 7 splash screen within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, At this point I would only like to know everyone's opinion on whether I may be infected with a

Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Hello,

At this point I would only like to know everyone's opinion on whether I may be infected with a virus of somekind.....

Here is my problem:

After running Chkdsk yesterday my computer loaded the windows splash screen and then went blank. I am not sure if these two events are related. I can here the startup sound. My mouse does not show up and alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del does not work as other google searches have suggested.

Safe mode works fine.

Running with the video card driver disabled works fine.

Running either my main video card or my onboard video card with the driver installed causes a blank screen. I have dual monitors.

I have ran malware bytes and it finds nothing.

Here are some other strange symptoms:

Firefox beta 4 recently stopped loading with error 0xc000007b

IE (32bit) recently started downloading html sites instead of loading them, though this doesn't seem to happen in safe-mode. The 64-bit version worked fine.

In safe mode when help pops up I get the error "unable to download / from windows"

Windows update also doesn't seem to even open in safe mode.

As stated before, at this point I would like to know everyone's opinion on whether I may be infected with a virus of some kind, or if it may be a different problem such as a corruption in windows. Thanks

Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Hello and welcome to TSF.

Windows 7 has a very robust System Restore. Have you tried invoking System Restore? You can access System Restore from the Advanced Options menu by pressing F8 during startup, selecting Repair Your Computer from that menu, select the keyboard layout, then choose System Restore from the System Recovery Options screen which appears. Choose a restore point before the issue arose.

System Restore - Windows 7 Forums

If you're able to perform a System Restore, post new logs from DDS as this one shall be closed to place you in the queue.