Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help > Resolved HJT Threads

AVG stopped working - virus?

This is a discussion on AVG stopped working - virus? within the Resolved HJT Threads forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Running Firefox on Vista. After downloading something small today i got the messages: "AVG core scanning module - server part

Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Running Firefox on Vista. After downloading something small today i got the messages:

"AVG core scanning module - server part has stopped working" then something like:
"Microsoft has encountered an error click to close this program"

Closed, but the downloaded item was not present/available. After trying again i found i could access the download by waiting a bit without closing, but only if i retrieved the download to the desktop immediately. Its possible an earlier download may have been suspect, but i have no evidence of this.

Looked into security center, updated AVG database. Still same prob. with downloads.

Found i could not visit AVG | AntiVirus and Internet Security | Virus Protection - redirecting back to google....?

After closing the AVG tray icon, i found i could no longer start any AVG processes (same message). Sucessfully uninstalled AVG (by using the program manager). Tried to reinstall AVG (version 8.1) from my original exe but same message as above after extraction.

Managed to get the 'AVG removal tool' (32 bit) (had to download from some mirror site) but also get the same message as above when run.

Downloaded and installed Spybot search and destroy successfully, updated and ran a scan but nothing much as far as i can see. 22 cookies it didnt like. Deleted them.

I'm still unable to visit AVG | AntiVirus and Internet Security | Virus Protection using either firefox or internet explorer, both redirect to the google page and the same with many other urls linked to avg and other antivirus sites eg avast, cnet etc. Currently i have no antivirus protection, although it seems as if downloads are now working OK. Any ideas?

Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and
Quote:
Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps
a link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined below.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.