Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Your computer has just recovered from a serious error!

This is a discussion on Your computer has just recovered from a serious error! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The title is what I get when my computer restarts after an unexpected shutdown. It started happening about 3-6 weeks

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

The title is what I get when my computer restarts after an unexpected shutdown. It started happening about 3-6 weeks ago. Pretty much my mouse and keyboard are disabled my comp freezes and the shutdown button is disabled as well when it goes into this state. I have debunked it from being the lan card i use, my hard drive, CD-rom driver and when i go to send the error report it says it might be caused by a device not properly connected causing immediate shutdown.(When it doesn't freeze) it just shuts down and goes to the nav screen(blue screen) with F9 boot order F10 Setup etc...

I changed and reformated my brothers hard drive and everything.
Windows XP on service pack 3 i haven't even downloaded anything and the problem persists. Before i reformatted this hard drive i was getting this message that my battery might be dying or something(I didnt get this on the other hard drive i was on before) similar to that like resetting it or something? And pretty much when i got back from school today after leacing my computer on i moved my mouse to remove the black screensaver and i had the error again. I'll repost the exact error name and details if it happens again

I need Professional assistance! :(

Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

If you got a message that your battery needs replacing then you should replace the CMOS battery (a "watch" like battery on the motherboard the size of an dime, available at any place that sells electronics or Watches). Also
Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Now type a Y and reboot the computer. the Check Disk utility will run at next boot up and try and fix any file errors. Also download the ISO image for Drive Fitness Test in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. And boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and extended tests on the HDD.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF please post the full spec of your computer ie make and model or if a custom build please post the make and model of
motherboard
cpu
gpu
ram
psu
have you tried running some diagnostics like memtest86+ for the ram and seatools for dos on the hdd Memtest86+ Guide/How To's - Overclockers Forums
Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic
SeaTools | Seagate

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Spunk it's not my hard drive, like i said i already debunked the possibility. I have 3 hard drives i use and it did it for all of them so its not the hd, thanks for input though, and in response to joeten

Specs are

Operating System: Windows XP
Motherboard: ???(I have an HP based computer before i changed a lot of the devices)
WiFi Card: Realtek
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Sound Card: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Hard Drive: ???(I'd need to shutdown to check same for motherboard and cd driver)
CD Rom Drive: ???
Memory: 1278mb ram
Processor: 2.4ghz dual core intel pentium(something like that >.<)
Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seigekiller View Post
Spunk it's not my hard drive, like i said i already debunked the possibility. I have 3 hard drives i use and it did it for all of them so its not the hd, thanks for input though, and in response to joeten

Specs are

Operating System: Windows XP
Motherboard: ???(I have an HP based computer before i changed a lot of the devices)
WiFi Card: Realtek
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Sound Card: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Hard Drive: ???(I'd need to shutdown to check same for motherboard and cd driver)
CD Rom Drive: ???
Memory: 1278mb ram
Processor: 2.4ghz dual core intel pentium(something like that >.<)

Psychically it may not be your hard drive. But the file system may have errors and or bad sectors. Perform the CHKDSK as mentioned it wouldn't hurt.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread