Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

yellow bar to install Active X control does not appear

This is a discussion on yellow bar to install Active X control does not appear within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

I can no longer play games on worldwinner.com. I recently deleted all cookies and temp internet files to get rid of a dangerous tracking cookie. Therefore, I need to install the Active X controls for the games again.

The webpage keeps telling me a yellow bar should appear asking me to install active x control; however, the yellow bar does not appear.

Prior to the onset of this problem, I had issues with only one of the games (Cubis). As long as I opened a new browser window and played Cubis as the first game I played, I would experience no graphics problems. However, if I play a consecutive game of cubis, or play cubis after playing any other different game, I experienced the window resizing itself to show only a portion of the game screen. In the areas off screen, I could still play by aiming the curser and guessing where the cube would go or what the cube would hit. The workaround was to open a new browser window and login to the site prior to playing Cubis each time.

Recently, after allowing my son to use my computer, I acquired the dangerous tracking cookie and other internet speed issues, etc. After removing the offensive cookie, the speed and perfomance issues remained a problem. Assuming the graphics and other problems were due to IE8, I reinstalled IE8 and went back into the gaming site, experiencing the same window resizing problem; however, this time it happens with Zuma as well. Now it was happening on the first game after opening browser as well as all consecutive games. I tried using the compatibility mode with no improvement.

I uninstalled and went back to IE7, cleared all temp internet files and cookies. I went to the gaming site and the yellow bar appeared. I think I may have clicked on the “X” in the right hand corner of the yellow bar. I am not sure what I did, but the bar disappeared and will not come back. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, alternating between IE7 and 8. I am currently at IE8, unable to play games due to lack of the yellow bar necessary to install Active X controls.

Windows firewall is ON
NO Anti-virus.
pop up blocker disabled

The ActiveX settings under Tools -> Internet Options -> Security tab -> Custom level -> ActiveX controls and plug-ins are shown below:
Allow previously unused ActiveX controls to run without promopt - disable
Allow scriptlets - disable
Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls - Enable
Binary and script behaviors - Enable
Display video and animation on a webpage that does not use external media player - disable
Download signed ActiveX controls - prompt
Download unsigned ActriveX controls - disable
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting -disable
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins - Enable
Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting - enable

Also Ran the System File Checker

Do you know why I am experiencing the graphics problems and how do I get the yellow bar to appear?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Registered Member

Did you find a solution for this? I have the same issue.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

No, not a single reply. I just play games on a different computer, that seems to be the only solution without reformatting.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Go to Start/Run and type dxdiag and hit enter. the Direct X Diagnostic tool appears