Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

XP Won't Go in to Safe Mode

This is a discussion on XP Won't Go in to Safe Mode within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had a friend call and ask if I could help with her computer. I am fairly certain that she

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

I had a friend call and ask if I could help with her computer. I am fairly certain that she is infected with at least one and possibly several viruses and various malware.

I thought I would start and go into Safe Mode with Networking and do an online scan with Trend Micro Free Online Virus Scan.

The problem is that I can't get into Safe Mode. I can start hitting the F8 key. Then select Safe Mode with Networking. It will show it loading the drivers and then it will kick back to the Windows XP Home logo page and begin loading drivers. I can't seem to find a way to get past this loop. There seems to be no way to get in and try to do anything to clean the computer. I have Malwarebytes that I can put on the computer as well as several other programs that I have found using this site.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I might proceed, I sure would appreciate your assistance.

One other question. If I did a repair install of Windows XP, would this assit in getting Windows XP opertional. Then I could clean the viruses after I have something to work with?

Thanks again for any and all help.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

You are absolutely right. First repair your operating system. Uninstall the antivirus program if any installed. Download the kaspersky 2009 trial verssion and install it and register it and update it. Then scan for virus.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Welcome to TSF

To get Expert Help with malware removal:

I recommend that you read this article… "Simply, click on the links to be re-directed.

"Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? - First Steps";

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Please follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the
HiJackThis Log Help Forum.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...this-log-help/

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum;
not back here in this one.

When carrying out The 5 Steps,
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to HiJackThis Log Help Forum.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...this-log-help/

where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can. .

After your system has been verified as clean, if you are still experiencing those problems come back here and we will assist you further.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thor,

I really appreciate your instructions to clean this Windows XP Machine but before I can clean it I have to be able to get on (either in Safe Mode or normally) which I can't do right now.

As I mentioned in my post, the computer runs in a continual loop from the Windows XP HOme splash screen to loading drivers and then starts over. If I hit F8 it will show the screen asking to select Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc. If I choose "any" of the options, it will begin to run the basic drivers and then kick back to the Windows XP Home screen and start loading drivers.

I can't attempt any of the instructions you've shown as I can't get anywhere.

Please advise on how I should proceed. I am almost of the opinion that only a complete reformat and install will solve this problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

I have the same problem as JazzMahn can you please give me a step by step help on turning on my computer. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMahn View Post
I am almost of the opinion that only a complete reformat and install will solve this problem.
Highly unlikely that will be necessary.

You have not made things clear: Let's see if we can get this sorted out.

Please describe what happens when you attempt to start the computer normally: That may help us understand what is happening.

I will take a guess at either one or the other of these:
1. It is simply BSODing and re-starting.
Please do the following:

:step1: Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
  • Record the error message details, and post in this thread.

:step2: Try the following ...
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
  • The computer will attempt to load Windows.
  • If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.

2. It is stuck in a Safe Mode Loop because MSCONFIG was used to force Safe Mode?
Try this:
Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...force_safemode

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

@ Oleg Khripunov

It is stuck in a Safe Mode Loop because MSCONFIG was used to force Safe Mode.

Try this:
Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...force_safemode

Let me know how it goes. If you have continued problem, please start your own thread (too confusing in someone else's topic) and PM me to let me know.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

My error message was

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP:0x0000000A (0x3F3F3FFB, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9)