Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

XP wont boot past grey screen.

This is a discussion on XP wont boot past grey screen. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi My pc running win XP wont boot past a blue grey blank screen. Start up beeps, goes to ASUS

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi My pc running win XP wont boot past a blue grey blank screen.
Start up beeps, goes to ASUS boot screen and then the Windows XP screen with the loading bar and then to a dark blue/grey blank screen and hangs there.

I am currently able to boot in safe mode/networking.

Any ideas where to look for the fault?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

May be one of the start up programs has a problem. You can run MSCONFIG | Startup tab. From there you can ENABLE/DISABLE the programs that start up during boot. I usually make a list of what I see in that tab. Assuming they are all enabled, I will disable them one at a time while I try to boot normally after. The one I disabled last that would cause the computer to boot normally could be the culprit.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks triggerfinger.

Just to add to this problem, I have a freshly formatted drive with winxp installed hanging in the bay under my main drive for occasions like this and when connected it boots to the same point - the blue/grey screen. So this problem has got to be hardware or could it be a bios fault?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

I doubt because you said you can go into Safe Mode. I doubt if it is the BIOS. What computer is that anyway (details please)?

Thinking of a hardware failure it could be RAM or hard drive but since you can get into Safe Mode but not in Normal mode, it could be drivers or startup programs.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi I just swapped graphics cards with a broken pc I have and removed all usb cables from box and it booted up fine.
I will put back other graphics card later to see if that was the problem.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Are the graphics cards the same? If not then it could be it or it could be a driver issue.

Closed Thread