Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP -> Vista File Sharing using wired linksys router

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  johnwill 
#1 ·
I just bought a new PC (call it Vista) and need to transfer my files to it from my old PC (call it XP) ive got a fairly old linksys BEFSR41 router linking them together my internet is provided to only my Vista computer via a wireless router connecting to USB
my problem is ive got my computers connected to my router, file sharing/public folder sharing/network discovery is all enabled on my Vista computer and the network is set to private and they are both in the same "workgroup" my 2 root HDD's are shared on my XP machine. all passwords and protections have been turned off on my XP machine. yet my Vista computer cannot even see my XP machine let alone transfer any files and vice versa I doubt its my Vista machine because networking with my XP machine has always been frustrating but this time I just cant seem to figure it out

thanks in advance to anyone who can solve the problem!

#2 ·
couple things that can cause this:

1.) you need to update your XP machine to SP2 and the 90 or so updates afterwards, for some reason I was never able to get vista to see any machine not running xp SP2.

2:) Firewalls, new PC's usually come with either norton internet security or mcafee trial versions installed (or full versions if ou bought it) you actually need to configure the norton firewall to allow file transfer traffic through. not sure about mcaffe never had any pc's to network that had it on. also do the same for your XP machine if you have any firewalls on that.

3.) make sure to take the password off of your vista machine under networking window.

#3 ·
my XP machine is fully updated and neither of my computers have any firewall software at the moment as im trying to make the file transferring go as smoothly and quickly as possible once I can actually get them connected haha and the password option I disabled when I disabled the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.