Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

XP Startup Problem

This is a discussion on XP Startup Problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, My issue is that, on my XP SP2 system, I seem to be hanging up on the screen right

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

My issue is that, on my XP SP2 system, I seem to be hanging up on the screen right after I log onto Windows. I am the only user, but have my computer password protected for safety. When the logon screen comes, I enter my password, and it takes me into windows. What is weird is that it then starts AOL Instant Messenger, but nothing else. I cannot click on anything on the desktop or bring up the start menu (I get the hourglass). I can access the task manager, however, and that let's me reboot my computer. Nothing out of the ordinary seems to be in my Process list, or taking up all of my CPU energy - force ending certain tasks does nothing. I can F8 during startup and boot into Safe Mode (which allows me to click on things just fine), but Spybot S&D shows nothing, and RegCure doesn't show anything significant. After reading some stickies about how Registry Cleaners are the spawn of satan, maybe that has something to do with it? Though, as you'll see later, I tried to system restore before the most recent RegCure scan and that didn't seem to help.

This happened to me Friday night. I rebooted and it was then fine. I since moved out of college and the same thing is happening as of Friday, but this time rebooting seems to do nothing. The only thing I've changed is that I usually don't turn off my computer, I leave it running for weeks at a time with occasional reboots (though I don't know why that would have any bearing).

I have made no system changes or recent downloads directly before this issue started that would make me think I downloaded a virus or something. About a week ago I uninstalled my NAV to increase my computer speed, but it would be odd for something to have happened passively between now and then. I just attempted a System Restore to a point I had on Thursday morning before any of the problems occurred, but still hang up.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Tech Hardware Team

Rocetmal,

The protocol and rules of this site dictate that you assume this is virus or malware related until you can confirm otherwise. Uninstalling your AV software to make your PC go faster was not a good decision - especially since you leave your PC on continuously.

A System Restore will only work if you have the "System Restore" feature enabled in your "My Computer" properties settings. Often, having this turned on can actually be a curse if you're PC is infected with a virus or malware as the infection gets saved in the restore backup so restoring can prevent you from successfully removing a virus.

I would first get ahold of a good virus scanning tool, such as SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition and perform a full scan of your PC. If nothing turns up,

Yes - I agree that registry repair/cleaning tools can cause more problems than they solve. It's best to avoid these tools unless you know exactly what their doing and can selectively control any changes they make.

YOU REALLY NEED Antivirus/Internet Security software! There are lots of good programs out there. I'm told that NOD32 is one of the best. I've used both McAfee & Norton - while these programs are NOT without their issues, the DO a good job protecting your PC from viruses and outside attacks.

After eliminating any virus or malware infection as the cause of your problem, I would run MSCONFIG and selectively disable startup programs and services that might be causing your issue.

Check out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/en-us

http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/tr.../msconfig.html

Hope this helps.

- John

Old 04-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi Rocetmal and welcome to TSF !

Test the hard drive for errors : boot in safe mode, go to start => run and type chkdsk c: /R. Report with the results (if you skipped them you'll find them in the event viewer in the latest winlogon event in the application section).

Check the event viewer for errors : start => run => eventvwr.msc. You can ignore errors like "the following drivers failed to start" with a list of a dozen of drivers since it's caused by the computer being in safe mode, but see if there are other errors. Double-click the error, click on the third button on the right (this copies the info in the memory) then right-click => paste that info here.

If you believe you could have gotten a virus then follow these instructions : http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

As John said you shouldn't run without an antivirus, if you wish to use an antivirus program that uses less ressources I can suggest Antivir, AVG or Avast. Don't use more than one antivirus at a time. Make sure you've run the norton removal tool that corresponds to the version you had installed.

What firewall do you use ?

Do you have an XP SP2 install CD ?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them ASAP.

However, a preliminary update, when I system restore to a week ago (the day I uninstalled NAV), my system is fine. The only problem is that it says it cannot recover some of my personal account data (things like Firefox passwords and favorite, wallpaper, shortcuts, some programs arent installed, etc). I guess I just find it hard to believe that the day I uninstall NAV I get a virus, when I've had no warnings or anything in my NAV log at all when it WAS installed.

I do have my windows installation disks, but would a windows reinstall cause me to lose a lot of things? Also I have no firewall to speak of, I've been on a college network that has a school firewall. The XP firewall caused more problems than it was worth i thought :)

In any case, thanks for the replies guys, and I'll get on that info ASAP.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Tech Hardware Team

Rocetmal,

You can do an in-place install of XP over your existing copy if you elect to install to the same locations (i.e DO NOT re-patition or re-format your drive). This should not mess with installed programs or your data files.

I agree that the built-in XP firewall isn't very robust. Norton AV/Internet Security products work well when they're installed - although they do tend to hog up system resources and slow things down, especially on startup. The other problem I've had with Norton AV/IS products is that they rarely uninstall, re-install or upgrade cleanly. I've had to download NAV cleaning tools from Symantec's support site to force uninstalls after several unsuccessful attempts to uninstall, reinstall or upgrade Norton security products.

I've been using McAfee Internet Security and find that it's less problematic when it comes to uninstalling. It also doesn't bog down the system like Norton did. I'm told by other "Geeks" out there that NOD32 Antivirus is the way to go for many reasons. Haven't tried it yet - but many folks out there swear by it.

The bottom line is that you really need a good antivirus/firewall suite - especially considering you're in a college environment where you're at greater risk for malware infection, hacking and intrusion attempts. Microsoft operating systems are extremely vulnerable to malware because they've got so many built-in hooks and APIs which allow integration between the networking layers, operating system and applications. Make sure that you're running XP Service Pack 2 and are installing all of the security updates from Microsoft as they are released.

If you're worried about losing data upon re-installing Windows - you should do a backup of all your data (documents, music, favorites, etc.) to a flash memory stick or CD-R/DVD-R BEFORE attempting the in-place reinstall of XP.

- John
Old 04-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks John, that sounds like good advice. I just feel like everything points to NAV with this problem. I uninstalled it a week ago, and I'm trying to think if I had any other restart troubles, but then again I can't remember if I've had to restart between then and Friday when the problem first started.

I am running a CHKDSK as we speak, but it probably won't be done before I have to leave for church. So, here is the Error information requested by JustPassingBy:

Under “Application”

4/21 (the day I uninstalled NAV)

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Symantec AntiVirus
Event Category: None
Event ID: 40
Date: 4/21/2008
Time: 7:29:28 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JASON
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 40 ) in Source ( Symantec AntiVirus ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

Symantec AntiVirus has determined that the virus definitions are missing on this computer. This computer will remain unprotected from viruses until virus definitions are downloaded to this computer..

4/27
Event Source: Symantec AntiVirus
Event ID: 40
Date: 4/27/2008
Time: 1:47:28 AM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 40 ) in Source ( Symantec AntiVirus ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

Symantec AntiVirus has determined that the virus definitions are missing on this computer. This computer will remain unprotected from viruses until virus definitions are downloaded to this computer..

Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1511
Time: 1:45:16 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1502
Time: 1:45:12 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Also several warnings, such as:

Detection of product '{33CFCF98-F8D6-4549-B469-6F4295676D83}', feature 'SAVUI' failed during request for component '{2C238EAC-08DB-408F-A1A1-ABF29ADB4E86}'

Detection of product '{33CFCF98-F8D6-4549-B469-6F4295676D83}', feature 'SAVMain', component '{92D0FADC-13B9-416D-9A79-CAE7FF75EFF6}' failed. The resource 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Help\CCLGVIEW.CHM' does not exist.

Under “ System”
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: CRT
Event ID: 45062
Time: 2:02:44 AM
Description:
CRT invalid display type
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 2c 00 00 00 06 b0 00 c0 ,....°.À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Event Source: W32Time
Event ID: 29
Time: 1:48:22 AM
Description:
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Event Source: SAVRT
Event ID: 20
Time: 1:44:35 AM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 20 ) in Source ( SAVRT ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 14 00 07 c0 .......À

Event Source: sr
Event ID: 1
Time: 1:44:39 AM
Description:
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000243' while processing the file 'EraserUtilRebootDrv.sys' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume2'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

Data:
0000: 06 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7024
Time: 1:45:15 AM
Description:
The Symantec SPBBCSvc service terminated with service-specific error 4294967295 (0xFFFFFFFF).

Old 04-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

All those errors point to remnants of Norton, it's probably also what came in the way of system restore. Please run the Norton removal tool then retry system restore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Make sure you've run the norton removal tool that corresponds to the version you had installed.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

Here is the CHKDSK log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event ID: 1001
Time: 11:42:06 AM
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 1569 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1569 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1569 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

151316234 KB total disk space.
112961336 KB in 80842 files.
29672 KB in 9795 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
228774 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
38096452 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
37829058 total allocation units on disk.
9524113 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
50 11 02 00 17 62 01 00 d9 ee 01 00 00 00 00 00 P....b..........
38 09 00 00 02 00 00 00 48 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 8.......H.......
64 83 e2 08 00 00 00 00 3e bc c8 55 00 00 00 00 d.......>..U....
6e 66 ae 1d 00 00 00 00 cc 22 a3 35 06 00 00 00 nf.......".5....
86 96 e2 f9 01 00 00 00 a6 18 dc ac 08 00 00 00 ................
80 d7 5e b2 00 00 00 00 a0 38 07 00 ca 3b 01 00 ..^......8...;..
00 00 00 00 00 e0 9c ee 1a 00 00 00 43 26 00 00 ............C&..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

What was interesting, after the CHKDSK scan was complete and it brought me to the logon screen, I logged in and everything was completely normal and worked fine. To test it, I rebooted again and found it once again went into freezing up. I wonder what happened?

Also, I will run the Norton Removal Tool asap. The problem is that I was using the campus-provided NAV "client" so i'm not sure what year it would fall under... it seems to be a rolling thing that just keeps getting updated. Any suggestions on what removal tool to try?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Tech Hardware Team

Rocetmal,

Download the appropriate Norton/Symantec removal tool from:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...hm&lg=en&ct=us

Pick from the list of products and download the appropriate removal tool.

- John
Old 04-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Registered Member

It looks like they all are the same uninstall file, it's just that they have different steps for product key recovery based on what version you have. I'll give it a try :)
Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
Registered Member

Update:

*I booted into Safe Mode
*Ran the Norton Removal Tool
*Rebooted into normal mode

It is still locked up. I noticed that you said to try another System Restore, can you be more specific what date? So far from my saved restore points, no point except the most recent one BEFORE i uninstalled NAV work.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

I did a windows Repair and that seems to have improved, if not solved, the problem. I'll let you know if that is not the case. Thanks so much for your help guys.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Please post your computers specs, see the posting system specs link in my sig. Don't forget the brand and model of the power supply.

Restoring to before you uninstalled NAV wouldn't make much sense, it's possible the other restore points got corrupt so let's try to repair your current installation instead of restoring to a previous restore point. Please try the following steps, stop once you're able to boot normally :

See if you still have norton related errors in the event viewer after running the removal tool : Symantec, SAVUI, SAVMAIN, SAVRT, EraserUtilRebootDrv.sys, SPBBCSvc are all related to Norton. If so then try another uninstaller. Ask one of your friend that has the same version of norton to go to the help => about tab in Norton to see what version it is.

If that didn't help then make sure you have an XP SP2 CD (if not then create one). Then boot into safe mode, go to start => run and type sfc /scannow (mind the space after sfc). You'll be prompted for the XP SP2 CD if the system file checker detects corrupt system files and can't find a backup on the hard drive.

There was some message about a corrupted user profile, see if you can create a new admin account in safe mode (don't use the same name as the old one) then follow the instructions in this link : How to recover the damaged user profile in Windows XP.

Once you've copied your old profile settings into the new one see if you can boot properly. Else unplug the ethernet cable, turn the router off or disable the wireless card in the device manager, boot in safe mode, go to start => run and type msconfig. Go to the startup tab and untick everything then go to the service tab, tick "hide all microsoft services" and untick all non-MS services. Restart (each time you make a change in msconfig you'll get a warning that you're in selective mode after restarting the computer, tick the box then click ok) and see how it goes. If all is fine then retick those items one or two at a time and try to pinpoint the one that's causing your troubles. Don't bother reticking items like qttask, adobe, reader_sl, office updater, ... you don't need those ones.

Chkdsk cleaned minor inconsistencies on the drive, I'd rerun chkdsk c: /F (this will run much faster than the /R test since it won't scan the whole drive for bad clusters) and see if it helps since last time it booted fine after that. If it finds errors again it means something creates errors in the file system. Check your temps and voltages in the BIOS (search for some hardware monitor or pc health status screen) and test your memory with memtest : download, unzip and burn memtest86+'s bootable .iso image file using a burning software that can handle .iso files. Enter the BIOS at startup and set the boot priority to CD-rom first. Leave memtest run overnight and report if it finds any error.

If nothing helped try a repair installation. You'll have to uninstall IE7 first if you had it installed. Then boot on the XP SP2 CD, press enter to setup windows now, accept the licence agreement, select your current installation and make sure the option you're given is to press 'R' to repair the selected installation. Follow the instructions and see how it goes.

edit : ok, seems you jumped directly to the last step You'll have to reinstall the latest critical updates from windows update. If you had IE7 see if it still works. Report here if there's still any problem.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #14
Registered Member

Alright so I thought things were fixed...

As I said, I ran a windows repair installation from my XP CD. I began downloading windows updates and re-personalizing my settings. Several restarts later (one that followed a download of a Windows Update downloader and Genuine Advantage tool), my computer is back to its original problem. Is this all just a coincidence, or what happened in the mean time?

I'm running a CHKDSK c: /F right now, but if the windows repair was the final step, are all of the things you listed prior to that futile at this point?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Tell us about the chkdsk scan's results and search the event viewer for new errors. Also post your complete system specs and report your temps and voltages from the BIOS.

To make sure there's no weird problem with the mbr or boot sectors, please run partition table doctor and check the partition properties (the free demo can't do any changes to the system).
Old 04-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Tell us about the chkdsk scan's results and search the event viewer for new errors. Also post your complete system specs and report your temps and voltages from the BIOS.

To make sure there's no weird problem with the mbr or boot sectors, please run partition table doctor and check the partition properties (the free demo can't do any changes to the system).
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event ID: 1001
Date: 4/28/2008
Time: 12:45:03 PM
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 1298 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1298 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1298 unused security descriptors.

151316234 KB total disk space.
113404164 KB in 79263 files.
29004 KB in 9444 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
232462 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
37650604 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
37829058 total allocation units on disk.
9412651 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
50 11 02 00 8d 5a 01 00 47 ea 01 00 00 00 00 00 P....Z..G.......
49 09 00 00 02 00 00 00 b6 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 I...............
a0 60 7e 08 00 00 00 00 e8 51 c6 45 00 00 00 00 .`~......Q.E....
9e f9 38 1b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..8.............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 15 8b 6a 00 00 00 00 ...........j....
70 b0 5e b2 00 00 00 00 10 39 07 00 9f 35 01 00 p.^......9...5..
00 00 00 00 00 10 a4 09 1b 00 00 00 e4 24 00 00 .............$..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Partitions 1 and 3 of my hard disk have errors according to the Partition Doctor.

As far as system specs, I have no idea how to get everything you want without all of the clutter that Everest has... and I also don't know how to figure out Power Supply information or socket types. The link in your signature tells me what program to use what you need out of the program, but I am having trouble sorting through to get from point A to point B.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #17
Registered Member

Ok here is my attempt:

• Power Supply – no idea
• Motherboard – Dell DM051
• CPU – DualCore Intel Pentium D 3.00 GHz
• RAM –Intel 1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM (2046 MB total), 226 MHz
• Video Card(s) – Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (Omega 3.8.442), PCI Express x16, 128 MB,
• Hard Drive(s) – ST3160812AS (149 GB)
• Operating System -Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 04-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
There was some message about a corrupted user profile, see if you can create a new admin account in safe mode (don't use the same name as the old one) then follow the instructions in this link : How to recover the damaged user profile in Windows XP.
Something interesting regarding this step. I created a new admin account while in safe mode. I then changed user from my main account into that new admin account, and everything in windows loaded as it should - no freezing. I then restarted my computer, and went into the new admin account again, only to find it freezing like my original problem. Weird. I then did a change user to my main account and everything loaded normally. I have no idea what is causing the inconsistency of this problem. As you well know, after a CHKDSK things loaded fine, then went back to bad. Now one account works, and another doesn't, and then they swap positions. I cannot figure out a common factor in what allows a regular startup and what causes the freezing.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Is this a Dell Dimension 5150/E510 ? Did you use the CD that came with the computer to do the repair install or did you use another retail XP CD ?

Go to start => run and type devmgmt.msc. Are there any flagged devices (with a red cross or yellow exclamation point in front of their names) in the list ?

Run Dell diagnostics (the extended test) :
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1114195

On Dell computers partition 1 is the utility partition and partition 3 is the system restore partition, I don't know if they're supposed to give errors in partition table doctor. I'll see is someone knows more about this.

Have you tried to untick the non-microsoft services (tick the hide all microsoft services box) and all the startup items in msconfig ? Do so then restart the computer normally. Tick the box when you get a warning about being in selective startup mode. Don't connect to the internet if you disabled the firewall/antivirus items => turn your router off or unplug the ethernet cable.

A solution that would work if the hardware is not at fault would be to backup all your personal data and restore the computer to the factory defaults (press ctrl+F11 when the computer starts). But you'll need to reinstall all your programs and reset all your settings.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #20
Registered Member

Yes this is a Dimension E510. For the repair I used the CD that came with the computer.

In the devmgmt.msc, there are 3 items under "sound" that have yellow exclamation marks. During the repair, these items could not be verified by Windows, so I just figured I don't need them, as they are subsets of programs (not my sound card or anything). They are SndTDriverV32 (two listings of that), and Tunebite High-Speed Dubbing.

I have no non-microsoft services enabled. On the Startup tab I have the following enabled: DLACTRLW, atiptaxx, stsystra, ehtray, aim6, ctfmon,802.11b+g USB Wireless LAN Utility, Digital Line Detect

I will run the Dell diagnostics test in the morning. I really dont want to wipe my computer clean, considering I've managed to bandaid the problem by switching from one user account (which freezes) to the other (which then loads normally).