Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

XP Pro - BSOD, page fault in non-paged area

This is a discussion on XP Pro - BSOD, page fault in non-paged area within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, hope someone can help me? I have a Dell Desktop that won't boot and displays the BSOD, 'page fault

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, hope someone can help me?

I have a Dell Desktop that won't boot and displays the BSOD, 'page fault in non-paged area' error at startup. I cannot get into safe mode either (I get a SAM.DLL 'not valid windows image' error).

The PC is a Dell Precision 490 (2Gb ram and appears to be RAID as it has 2 hard disks).

I have managed to get a backup of data from the PC by starting it up with a Ubuntu disk, but I'm not sure what to try next. I can't get into safe mode to try a restore point, nor can I run'Last known good config' and I can't run chkdsk.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Gavin

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

Hi

1. Using the Ubuntu CD copy the files under c:\windows\minidump to another PC then zip them and attach them to your next post.

2. Run Memtest which you can download from here. Download the ZIP file, extract the ISO and write it to CD using a program like ImgBurn.
Once written to CD, boot your PC with the CD and run Memtest. Allow the test to run through at least 3 passes or until it gives errors. If you have more than 1 memory module run the test on each module separately.

3. Download the Windows XP recovery Console ISO from here. Write it to CD using a program like ImgBurn.
Once written to CD, boot your PC with the CD.
On the first screen press "r" to enter the recovery console.
When asked which Windows you want to log in to type in the correct version (Usually "1")
Enter the Administrator password (if asked) else just press enter if you do not have one.
Then at the command prompt type
Code:
chkdsk c: /r
and enter.
Allow chkdsk to run.
Restart the PC once done.

If you need instructions with screen shots to enter the recovery console see this article.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

will do that in the morning, many thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi

Here are the results from what you asked me to do

1) minidump files are attched. None of them seem to have a recent date though?

2 I ran memtest as outlined. Once per 1Gb ram chip. No errors reported

3) Tried (and failed) to run the Recovery Console. I booted from the cd but after loading files it tried to set up Windows and bluescreened on me.

Stop error: 0x0000007E
pci.sys

Any further ideas?

Many thanks

Gavin
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mini043008-01.zip (240.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team

Hi

Unfortunately the minidumps are very old - the newest being Sep 14, 2010.
Therefore the do not say much.

Has anything changed in your PC lately? Added new hardware, Installed new software, Windows update?

Do you have an antivirus program and if so which one? Is it updated?

Run the hard drive diagnostic tool for your make of hard drive. A list of Hard Drive manufacturers and the links to their Diagnostics tools can be found here. Download the ZIP file, extract the ISO and write it to CD using a program like ImgBurn.
Once written to CD, boot your PC with the CD and run the Advanced or Extended test on both your hard drives.

Do you have an add-on display card or are you using the onboard/integrated display card?

Also disconnect all external devices that aren't necessay.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

No new hardware added, there was a Windows update this week though.

I use ESET NOD32 a/v which updates itself most days

Onboard display card used.

I'll run the hard disk diagnostics and post results.

Thanks for your help
Old 02-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

Update:

I have run memtest on each ram chip seperately (9 passes) and on them together (15 passes) with no errors reported. I have also run the Dell onboard diagnostics for the hard disks, all tests passed.

I'd like to run the Win XP Recovery Console but I have problems doing this:
1) If I try to run it from the XP CD it asks for an admin password. I don't know this as I didn't do the original install. I have tried resetting it using various online password recovery s/w and by using the tools on a Ultimate Boot for Windows cd. No matter whatever I key for the password fails. I tried editting the registry Security Level to 1 but all this does is switch off the Recovery Console not just disable the need for a password.
2) I tried the Recovery Console on the Ultimate Boot cd but that won't run the Console either.

I'm trying to avoid a reformat and fresh install if possible (though I can back up the data by booting with a ubuntu cd) as it is a network PC and has a lot of apps needed.

Anyone any ideas of how to simply bypass the Console admin password?? I have tried all sorts (blank, password, secret, upper and lower case).

Thanks

Gavin
Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Windows Tech Team

Hi

1. Unfortunately as per forum rules we are not allowed to help with bypassing passwords.
Code:
You may not ask for assistance with any deemed illegal activities such as but NOT restricted to the following::
password cracking
Sorry!!

2. Can you boot up with the UBCDforWindows? Does it recognize your hard drives (RAID?)? And can you see the data on it?
If all this is yes then you can run chkdsk from the UBCDforWin CD.
Click on the "Start" button -> click run -> type CMD -> enter
type chkdsk c:/r -> enter

Note chkdsk c: /r where c: is your hard drive letter which might differ under UBCDforWindows

3. You could also perform a repair install of Windows XP. If this done, most times, none of your programs have to be reinstalled. Also it saves your document - however a backup should be done just in case.
If this is the route you want to take see this document: How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
After the Repair install you will have to run Windows Update again.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hi

1) makes sense. It seems that Microsoft have acknowledged that not recognising the admin password is a problem as there aer support articles on the subject. I'll try some more of the online s/w

2) I'll run chkdsk from the UBCD

3) I'll try the windows repair again, unfortunately it doesn't recognise the installed Windows so I'll try reconfiguring boot.ini

Thanks

Will report again tomorrow

Gavin