Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

XP Parental Controls - Time Limits

This is a discussion on XP Parental Controls - Time Limits within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm a Mac user whose son runs Windows XP on his Intel Mac. Does XP have a feature allowing parents

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm a Mac user whose son runs Windows XP on his Intel Mac. Does XP have a feature allowing parents to limit computer operation to certain hours? When my son boots into Windows, he bypasses the parental controls built into the Mac OS. I'd like to still be able to limit his computer time while in Windows.

Thanks for any step-by-step instructions on how to enable this function, if there is one.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #2

You can download a free software from windows called windows steadystate that allows you to set parental control filters and times. Or you can go with free 3rd party software like K9 webprotection.

Computers - You can't live with them, you can't live without them!
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the info on Steadystate. I've downloaded and installed it, but have encountered an issue. In the "Add a New User" box, I've entered a user name, entered and confirmed a password, and selected a picture. In the user location field, only one option exists: Local Disk (C:). There is a large, red X preceding this option. When I click OK, I get a message stating "The user profile cannot be created. Try again."

I have tried several times, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #4

Does that user already have an account on that machine?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, he does. It's the only account on the machine.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #6

If the account already exists on the machine, I don't think you should be using "add a new user". There should be some option allowing you to select an existing account.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

I could find no way to use an existing account - which would've been my preference. I was eventually able to create a new account, but found that the program is really going to be ineffective in limiting his time on the computer. You can limit the length of a session, but once that session is completed and the account logs out, you simply log in again and a new session begins. This will simply inconvenience him - not stop him. Nor is there a way to specify the times of day that the computer is available. The Parental Controls built into the Mac OS let you do this. Once 10 pm comes, the computer shuts down, and is unavailable until the next specified time.

I did a search for the other program you mentioned - K9 webprotection - but could find nothing
Old 03-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

Logon time restrictions can be done with the net user command built into Windows (xp and after as far as I know, but possibly also in 2000).
Open the command prompt (start > run > cmd , it is also usually available under the start menu) and type the following command
Code:
net user <username> /times:Monday-Friday,08:00-21:00
The above command will only allow the user with the specified username to login Monday-Friday from 8:00a.m. to 9:00p.m.

When entering the username do not include the <> and the times can be adjusted as you see fit. For instance you could do

Code:
net user <username> /times:Sunday-Saturday,12:00-13:00
That command will only allow the user to logon from Noon to 1:00p.m. every day of the week.

It is very adjustable, but can be a bit of a pain to get working properly. Remember, it only restricts the one username specified in the command, so if he has another user account it won't stop him.

Here is Microsoft's take on it, though their help is more confusing than it is helpful

edit: This command will not force the PC to logoff after the time expires, but will prevent them from logging back in.

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparsons View Post
I did a search for the other program you mentioned - K9 webprotection - but could find nothing
It is right here: http://www.k9webprotection.com/

Closed Thread