Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

XP Installation Help

This is a discussion on XP Installation Help within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, i just purchased a HP G71-349WM and i want it dual boot with windows xp. so i bought a

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, i just purchased a HP G71-349WM and i want it dual boot with windows xp.

so i bought a fresh copy of windows xp pro 64bit and when i do setup it loads all the windows files then it says setup is starting windows, then blue screen.

im not sure what the blue screen is saying, something about checking for viruses and hardware configurations.

can someone let me know what the problem is?

i looked in the BIOS because i read about something with the SATA drive messing with it, but i cant find any settings for the SATA drive. If anyone knows where these settings are or if they exist on this laptop please let me know.

the computer is less then a week old so i doubt its hardware problem, unless its a compatibility issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Installing XP on a SATA drive requires an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...ws_xp_on_a.htm

However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

You cannot do this or the windoes 7 will not boot so . .

you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slip...rs-into-xp-cd/

or

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-installation/

Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

this thing is kickin my ***. ive wasted about 4 cd's. i dont think i am getting the right drivers, ive searched for hours for the drivers and cant find one so i used the ones they provided.

I have a acer aspire 5100 and i got it dual boot with xp and win7 home premium. i was wondering if i could swap hard drives and install xp on this hdd while its in my other computer, then swap back.

unless you know where i can get the drivers for this thing then i think ill try that tonight. thanks for the reply....

or if you know how i can update my BIOS to show me the setting for SATA drive if thats possible that would be great. because mine has very limited settings. my bios is 'Insyde F 2.0'
Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

If you change the BIOS, the windows 7 will not boot
Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

Wink

As I recal, during the XP initialisation phase, the blue sceen is there for a long "few minutes". Be patient, I think it will go. Normally, you don't need any additional drivers but if you intend to instal RAID configuration.
Adam
Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

uh, its blue screen of death. but when i put drivers on the installation CD i don't get the BSOD anymore, it comes up with another error, saying setup has failed because my drivers aren't configured or not the the right ones for the hard disk, says something about 64 bit too.

If someone could just tell where i can get the right drivers then i know it would work...
Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

http://www.hp.com/#Support
Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Doesn't look like HP has XP drivers for the controller, let alone XP 64.

The data sheet shows you have the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M, so it's probably an Intel chipset.
These might be the drivers you need:
Matrix Storage Drivers for XP 64 Operating System
The first one listed, 64-bit Intel® RST Driver Files for F6 Instal should work if that matches the controller you have.
If you've restored Win 7, you can look in Device Manager and see what the controller is identified as, should be an ICH X type model number.
If not sure of the exact one, just select them all when you slipstream. They all pretty much use the same file, just need to have the correct string included so XP setup can recognize it.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Registered Member

My windows 7 works good, i just want dual boot with XP.

under my IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers i have

Intel ICH9M/M-E Family 4 port SATA AHCI Controller -2929

Now if i go under system devices it says intel ich 9

i will put those ones in the installation and try it when i get off of work, thanks a lot for taking your time to help me on this.