Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP install Issue

632 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fren Banklin 
#1 ·
Ok this is my problem,

I am installing XP on a computer and I boot from the CD go through the whole install but when the computer reboots to continue the install, it just keeps rebooting, it doesn't get past the screen where you can press F9 or F10 for settings then starts to boot again???

any ideas what could be the problem? could it be a bad XP copy, could it be a hardware issue?

Please Help

#2 · (Edited)
Alright. This looks simple. Surprised you have 0 replies so far.

Run the Install a second time, just like the first. It could have been a fluke, and it's not worth troubleshooting until it fails twice.

It would be a good idea to run the disk to Recovery Console first, and run "chkdsk /r" at the C:\ prompt. Pay close attention to if it finds errors, and if it does run it again, until it runs without finding any errors. If you have to run it 3X, and it still finds errors, the HD is probably about to (as one guy here put the other day, lol) "take a dump".

Lessee, chkdsk, do the install twice, oh yeah, and if it fails a second time, after passing chkdsk, then we have a problem, Houston.

It could be a bad disk. Check for scratches, etc... and give it a good cleaning with either Easy-Off oven cleaner or you could put it in the dishwasher. Those steel-wool S.O.S. pads are really useful to remove those stubborn stains, but you really need to work 'em with some elbow grease.

Lol. I mean, wipe it with a soft, lint-free cloth, and maybe a little bit of Windex.

Okay, if the disk is good, then you need to think about the possiblity that the optical drive is bad. I had a situation once where the XP got installed with errors, and ran buggy. I installed it 4X in 4 days before I swapped-out the optical, and after than it was all perfect. And the optical drive was brand-new, too. I'll never buy "Lite-On" again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.