Status
Not open for further replies.

XP Home starts to load, then stops

5K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Lori_KS 
#1 ·
I have an HP 8705i (CTO) computer (purchased Oct., 2000) with:
933MHz PIII
768 MB RAM
two hard drives: 1st: Western Digital 320G (C-drive is on here)
2nd: Maxtor 120G
Running XP Home--upgraded from WinMe in 2005 (approx.)
USB 1.1

What it's doing currently:

I can start it and it will go through the boot sequence, as well as the black WinXP loading screen (with the moving blue progress bar). It will then go to the next screen (light blue with WinXP logo)....and then stop.

What has happened in the past:

A few weeks ago, it worked fine in the AM, then later would not give us the Welcome screen with the listing of users, just a pop up box where one could put their username and password (if any). I also got the error: "Error loading C\Windows\system32\NvCPL.dll A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

(This is for the control panel for my nVidia video card.)

At this point, I could get into Windows with no problems except for the ones mentioned directly above. I tried running McCaffee Quick Scan, which came back clear. I tried a Registry Cleaner--there wasn't anything out of the normal there as I recall. I also ran 'Speed Up My PC'--with normal results there.

Another error I got around that time (going from my notes about it)-- was "Integrator.exe--Application Error. The application failed to initialize properly. (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

At this point, I was just assuming that a setting here or there got mussed up (& thus the different login).

Along that same time period, I got a BSOD with the error:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I restarted the computer and it did a disk check 'because one of your disks needs to be checked for consistancy" It checked all disks and partitions.

I decided to do a System Restore back to the previous Tuesday, since it had been running fine then. After doing so, I got the nVidia error--and so updated that driver.

I also noted that the Add/Remove Programs and the Tweak UI for XP program would not load--not sure if that might point someone toward anything.

A day later, when I had a chance to get back to the desktop and start it, I got the following error message:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \Windows\system32\config\system"

In hindsight, I should have used my XP home upgrade disk to do a non-destructive repair (as described in the article 'Bringing back XP from the brink....'). But at that time, I wasn't sure if the disk would have the correct tools on it since it was an Upgrade disk. (I've since spoken with some people who have more experience with computers & they've set me straight--that it does have the tools/console to do it...)

I originally had another 120G drive and used Acronis True Image to copy everything over to the 'new' 320G drive in March, so found the 'system' file on that and copied/pasted it to the 320G (after renaming the old system file so it would still be there, 'just in case'). Doing this allowed the computer to get into Windows as described at the top of the post.

I used the XP upgrade disk to try and repair things--it started, but then not long after told me that set up could not continue because: "File \i386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. The error code is 32768. Set up cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

I found the file on the original 120G drive and put that on a CD a few days ago.

Today, I put the 320G drive in as a second drive on a loaner PC and looked at the files there again. After doing a search (to find exactly where the file was located), I discovered that there was a copy of the file in an XP upgrade file that was a few months newer than the one that I had(the 'newer' one was August 2004 while the copied one was earlier that same year).

I copied the newer one and pasted it into the i386 file (based on the error above that said it couldn't find the file in that folder). Based on the search, I found the i386 file at

Windows\Driver Cache\i386

After pasting it in (as mentioned--it had no biosinfo file in it previously), I restarted--Windows loaded to the same point as before, then stopped.

I've tried the XP Upgrade cd for Recovery/Repair/Rebuild and once was able to get it to show 'Set up is inspecting your computer's hardware...', but then it rebooted itself. Another time, it got to that point and just stopped and showed me a flashing cursor.

After that, it seems that it won't start from the cd--just attempt to and then give up and try starting Windows. I did get a CD Boot Memory Overflow error once.

Frustrating for sure!!

What else can I try?

Worse case scenario, I can always get a new hardrive--if that's the thing I need to do, then how do I get my files off the 320G drive? I don't have a back up to this drive, primarily because I'm on a limited budget and have no way (that I know of) to back things up, except for buying an external drive. Since I have USB 1.1, that would be painfully slow, I believe. (And, I honestly am not sure how to do it....)

I truly appreciate any/all suggestions that anyone might have.

Please let me know if there is any other info that you might need.

Thank you!

--Lori

See less See more
#2 ·
Another option would be getting another drive, copying from the 120G as I did previously. My apologies for not mentioning the obvious :rolleyes:

(In my defense :wink: , it's been a crazy month--my mom has been in the hospital and also has some other serious medical issues going on. I've sometimes met myself coming and going lol )

Thanks again!

#4 ·
... another error I got around that time (going from my notes about it)-- was ...
Notes ! .... oh, I like that .... well done (you have my attention now) ... so, here we go then ....

I would suggest that you:

1. Remove/un-plug all external devices from the computer and this includes all USB devices in particular .... leaving only the keyboard, mouse and monitor connected.

2. On the inside of the box, remove/un-plug all un-necessary devices ... and this includes any extra CD-ROM drives, expansion cards (including the nvidia graphics card if you are able to use onboard graphics?), network/internet connections, extra USB connections, hard drives ... etc Strip the system bare for the purposes of trouble-shooting.

Attempt to start your system. What happens?
---------------
3. Test the memory (RAM).

On a working computer, download the memtest86+ setup file and either run or burn it (as the case may be) to create a bootable disk (floppy, usb flashdrive, CD-ROM)

Boot using the memtest86+ disc and allow it to run .... it will run until you press the Escape key to stop it, at which time the system will attempt to reboot normally. For any sort of meaningful result, the test should be allowed to complete at least 7 full passes ..... and for a completely reliable test, it should be allowed to run for 24 hours. There should be NO errors what-so-ever. Let me know the result.

Download memtest86+ bootable .iso file: http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

OR ... the memtest86+ home page for all versions, including for floppy and USB device:
http://www.memtest.org/
---------------------------------
4. Run Chkdsk from the Windows XP Recovery Console to scan the disk surface, check for and repair hard disk errors.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD, and enter the Windows Recovery Console and run chkdsk /p /r .... and re-run it if necessary until ... it reports that no errors were found.

Running Chkdsk from the Windows XP Recovery Console
http://www.aitechsolutions.net/winxpnoboot.html

Does Windows start normally now?
--------------------------
5. Try to get your system up and running from the "Windows Advanced Options Menu".

Press the ON button and start tapping the F8 key ... and keep tapping .... until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu".

5(a). Using your UP/DOWN keys, highlight "Safe Mode" and press the Enter key, and allow the computer to attempt to start in Safe Mode. If this is successful, it will look a little different but you will be able to attempt to fix the problem from within Safe Mode.

If Windows Safe Mode does not run successfully, then move to 5(b)

5(b). Using the UP/DOWN keys, highlight "Last known good configuration ... " and press the Enter key, and allow the computer to attempt to start normally using the last known configuration that worked successfully. If that fails try it again .... and again if necessary .... and keep trying for 10 times, before giving up on that option as a means of getting your system up and running again. (Don't ask me why 10 times ... I just know from past experience that sometimes this technique does work!)

Does your system start successfully?

Please continue your good form, making notes and reporting fully and in detail on what is happening at your end so that I can provide help to the best of my ability.
Good luck.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I will print out your instructions and give them a try tomorrow, if I have a chance. Worse come to worse, I went ahead and purchased a new 320G drive and will copy over the 'old' 120G's files (orig. source for current 320G). (It may be that the drive just died, we'll see....)

Regarding note-taking...I've learned that it can only help when you're dealing with computers. I only wish that I had the discipline (and ambition/time) to jot down every time that I install this or remove that or tweak this or that adjustment. :laugh:

Thanks again

#6 ·
I'm recopying the source 120G over to the new 320G that I bought--so that I can get the computer up and running.

I still want to get the 'old' 320G up and going as well--if nothing else, it will make it easier to get files off of it.

I c report one thing--when I put in the source 120G and the 'new' 320G, the computer booted right up with no issues. To me, that would seem to point to an issue with the drive rather than the physical aspects of the computer (video card, etc etc), so I will focus on trying your suggestions that relates to that (choosing 'last known good configuration' 10x) to see how that will help things.

Many thanks (again):pray:

#7 ·
Lori_KS

You are moving along very, very, well in exactly the right direction.
(You can never have too many of those 320GB hard drives ... !)

My suggestion:
Put the "old" 320GB in your system as a secondary hard drive ..... using either one of your other hard drives as the primary/main drive running the OS on it.

You have done this before with a "loaner" computer, you have said previously.

You can check and repair hard drive errors on the "old" 320GB hard drive conveniently within Windows.
Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
Double-click on My Computer > right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the Error checking section, click on "Check now" > place a tick in both boxes > Start
This test may take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
Please note any message shown after the check has completed.
If any errors were found, repeat the process.

#8 ·
I normally run a 120G second drive, but had figured (as you mentioned) that I could always drop the troublesome 320G in and poke around to see what was going on. Thanks for the reminder/suggestion about running CHKDSK on it.

This is the first time I've had a hard drive konk out on me and not load Windows. The ones previous to this (the original 20G that came with the computer and the aforementioned 'source' 120G) both started making noises or 'freezing'/hanging & so I was able to get another drive and copy from one to the other before the other 'fun' stuff started :grin:

#9 · (Edited)
I ran CHKDSK as on the '320G with Issues' (as I renamed the drive :grin:)--the first time through, it had to recover files in the 'Index Verification' stage. The rest ran fine. I re-ran the scan and it showed no issues.

I haven't had a chance to switch the drive to being a main drive to see if it will behave--perhaps in the next day or so. (Depending on what 'RL' tosses my way lol)

Depending on what happens with it, I might have future questions--but we'll wait and see.

Thanks for all the help!

#11 ·
Depending on what happens with it, I might have future questions--but we'll wait and see.
Thanks for all the help!
No worries. You are moving in the right direction. The "320 with issues" may or may not boot up normally, but either way, I will monitor this thread for when you get back.

Let us know how you get on.
Good luck.

#10 ·
I skimmed most of the thread.

Data Corruption. Heat ? Inadequate PSU ? 2 HD's on a PIII = crappy PSU & underpowered system.

Remove second HD to reduce power consumption. Run several instances of chkdsk /r and note if it finds errors and repairs them.

Are the HD's as old as the PIII ? (lol . . .)

Dust on CPU fan ?

Post specs of PSU.

I don't like any of your AV software. Registry Cleaners cause problems and do not fix any, and may be the primary cause of this. McAfee is bloated and has a finger in every pie, and any software with the word "accelerator" is crapware at best. A PIII needs LESS software to manage, not more.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm running McAfee because it comes free with my Internet--I can't afford the on-going cost of things like that otherwise. I have run the 'free' stuff, which is ok, but doesn't give the protection that I like. When I installed McAfee earlier this year (when went to high speed internet), removing the antivirus, etc that I had before, it actually seemed to speed things up.

& No :grin: the 320s aren't original to the computer. It originally came with one 20G drive. I've upgraded over the years.

I think the power supply is a 300--a few years back, I tried to find a 'larger' one that would fit my computer, but it was no luck. (Proprietary HP, gotta love 'em lol)

Eventually, I'm going to be buying a new computer (configured to order, like this one is--I want it to have the potential to last as long as this current one has)--this will go to being a 'second' computer for the household.

All in all--I think it's done quite well for a nearly-10 year old computer. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.