Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP hangs once i start BSNL broadband

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  rbalaji 
#1 ·
Hello ,

My pc(OS:XP) is working fine untill i plugged the cable in to the phone line.

And also my PC has windows genuine error.

I also scaned my pc with antivirus. No virus found.

What to do with this?

#3 ·
I've had the windows geniune error before years ago on an old pc even though it was quite clearly a genuine edition of it as it had been working for a few years before it appeared, basically if you run the test it asks you to do then it will say the key no longer exists which is a load of crap in my humble opinion lol. I've never really looked into to much but if you have the xp cd try a 'repair' if not its worth a complete reinstall just back up any files n stuff you need to keep.

#5 ·
Assuming the windows genuine error is not really a true error, I would like to know exactly what setup is giving you the problem you are facing. Is this a desktop or laptop? I assume a wired connection? Are you connecting to a modem/router provided by the broadband provider? I don't understand what you wrote about plugging the cable into the phone line. What exactly are you trying to do?

#6 ·
Yes, i have desktop. & broadband provider has provided the modem. Connection set up are like this.......
POWER CABLE TO MODEM
FROM CPU TO MODEM (LAN CABLE)
& FROM MODEM TO PHONE (RJ-11 CABLE)

I have this set up to access the net. Modem is of huawei and broadband provider is BSNL.
If you require more details, please keep posting.

#7 ·
Did BSNL provide a DSL filter for use with the phone line? Are you using it when you connect the modem to the phone line?

Also, do the following: disconnect computer from modem. Switch off modem and let it stay off for about 5 to 10 minutes. Now power up the modem and connect modem to phone line. Wait until all the lights on the modem are the way they are supposed to be (this depends on each modem, so if you have any documentation, please refer to that to find out which lights are supposed to be on, which are supposed to be blinking, which are supposed to be what color, etc.). Now connect the LAN cable between the modem and computer and see what happens.

#8 ·
I do not know abt the DSL filter but it has ADSL Splitter to connect to the phone line.

By using the broadband several times, i have found that iF i m using my PC without powering ON the modem, it will work fine.
Also I powered on the modem but if i do not connect the phone line with modem , my pc works fine but if i powered on everything connected, PC got hanged.

& Solution that u provided, i think it will work , this is what i m excatly doing now a days to keep broadband working.

But what is happening actually?

#9 ·
So, the computer starts works fine when you follow my procedure. Are you saying that if you now shutdown and restart the computer it does not work correctly? I am confused as to what exactly you are doing? The modem usually remains powered on and connected to the phone line permanently. And the computer is also permanently wired to the modem if it is a desktop. With such a set up, the computer should be capable of shutting down and restarting any time without any problems.

Are you disconnecting the modem from the phone line every now and then? Why? When the modem is initially connected to the phone line, it puts out nonsense until the DSL connection is established properly. I did not think that would hang a computer connected to the modem at that time, but it is quite possible, I guess. But the point is that the modem should not be powered down or disconnected from the phone line in the first place. If you feel a need to do it, then disconnect the computer from it until the modem reaches steady state (all lights lit up the way they are supposed to) before connecting the modem to the computer.

#10 ·
My Modem is permanently connected to desktop. But to make the Broadband works, i need to disconnect the cable from modem to splitter. I have to leave the modem untill rest of the LEDs (except DSL as cable is disconnected) are stable. And then I have to connect cable from modem to splitter.
If i will do this activity, broadband works in most of the cases but if i turned on my PC with Cable connected with splitter from Modem, PC is hanged.
Hope you understand the scenario.
If still not, feel free to ask.
I want my broadband works in case of all cables are connected.

#11 ·
If you need to disconnect the modem from the splitter to make the broadband work, there is something wrong with the broadband service. Call your ISP and get them to make it work properly. I never ever disconnect my broadband modem from either the phone outlet or the power supply: it is on permanently and connected to my ISP permanently. Only the computers are connected to it temporarily. There is something wrong with your setup that perhaps the folks on the networking forum can help you with, but this is certainly not an XP issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.