Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Won't boot after ending svchost.exe process in Task Manager

This is a discussion on Won't boot after ending svchost.exe process in Task Manager within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Been a long time since I posted here fellas but it looks like I need your professional help once again...

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Been a long time since I posted here fellas but it looks like I need your professional help once again...

Did a quick search and didn't find anything
(Flame suit on)

I made the boneheaded mistake of ending a process in the Windows Task Manager called svchost.exe. Immediately following, I noticed that my sound went dead. Naturally I tried to restart the computer and yep, you guessed it...now it won't boot.

It gets just about to the Windows boot screen and then a blue screen flickers on and it restarts over again. There is some writing at the top of the blue screen but it literally flickers for a split second making it ineligible.

From the brief searching I did on the net, it looks like this is what can happen when you eliminate the svchost process. I am not familiar with any sort of recovery process and the only disk I have is the Windows XP O/S install disk.
I have tried starting it in Safe Mode and (last known good configuration) with no avail.
The last thing I want to do is a new/clean install of XP, is there anyway to avoid this?

I promise to stay out of the Task Manager if I get this fixed

Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

OS: Windows Server 2008 (x64)/Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)

While ending processes in the task manager without knowing what they do is never a good idea, in theory, it shouldn't cause any lasting damage; the process should just start up again next time you reboot.

Since you're getting a blue screen, there are a few things to try. Firstly, have you added any new software or hardware (including USB devices like webcams and keyboards) to your computer? In the mean time, try booting into Safe Mode. To do this, start up your computer and press F8 repeatedly until a menu pops up asking what you want to do. Choose plain old Safe Mode and see if Windows loads.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

As mentioned, I have tried safe mode but it does the same thing. Starts to load and then restarts / repeat.

I haven't installed any new hardware, the last software I installed was:
1) UTorrent
2) Web DIVX player as recommened by Icefilms
3) Grease Monkey Script Tool

Since these installs the computer was running as normal. I also have these sofware programs installed on my other PC with XP and it's been fine for over a year.

This issue came about when I ended the process svchost.exe in Task Manager. Imediatly after, no boot :(
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

OS: Windows Server 2008 (x64)/Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)

Sorry, I missed the part where you said you'd tried Safe Mode.

If you're unable to get to Safe Mode, have you tried booting from a recovery CD and doing a repair installation of XP? I'd also just double check and make sure all your hardware is properly seated and installed.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have the installation CD but no repair CD.
I am unfamiliar with doing repair installations.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

At bootup press the F8 key to go to the Advanced Boot menu (Safe Mode etc) Here choose to Disable Automatic Restart after error. that should allow you to be able to read the Blue Screen.
Boot off of the XP CD Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
At bootup press the F8 key to go to the Advanced Boot menu (Safe Mode etc) Here choose to Disable Automatic Restart after error. that should allow you to be able to read the Blue Screen.
Boot off of the XP CD Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
I tried F8 that and couldn't find anywhere that states (disable automatic restart). Could it be somewhere else?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

Just finished running a chkdsk /r and it ran for about 10 minutes. After restart, still nothing.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot off of the XP CD get to the Recovery Console and type FIXBOOT and press enter. Try to boot normally. If this fails, get back to the Recovery Console and type FIXMBR and press enter. Try to boot normally. If this fails consider doing a Repair Install
Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Boot off of the XP CD get to the Recovery Console and type FIXBOOT and press enter. Try to boot normally. If this fails, get back to the Recovery Console and type FIXMBR and press enter. Try to boot normally. If this fails consider doing a Repair Install
I did the repairinstall already and it didn't fix it.
That being said...
I did the FIXBOOT just now and still nothing.
THEN did the FIXMBR. It warned me about damaging partitions (which I do have on the drive). I said yes...
It has now booted past the Windows screen and going into the XP set up stuff (almost like a fresh install).

Now I'm worried, did I basically just do a fresh XP install and wipe my partitions?
Kinda wanted to save that step for last
Guess time will tell if all my data/software is still there.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Registered Member

When it finally booted, it showed an ordinal 281 error. I clicked "OK" and then it gave me the blue screen as show in the pic.

I restarted with no problems and the same Ordinal 281 error came up, along with the soundmax error.

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0994.JPG
Views:	764
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	95756   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0995.JPG
Views:	732
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	95757  
Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You must reinstall your Sound Max driver for your sound card, if you have a name brand computer (HP, Dell etc) go to the manufacturers support download drivers site and type in your Make and Model# or Service Tag # to be taken to the download site for your model and download the Sound driver.
The Ordianl 281 error is for the Adobe Reader Automatic Updater. If you download Adobe Reader again it should get rid of that.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #13
Registered Member

It's a home built unit from about 5 years ago.
I think I've found drivers for the sound card online in the past.
The Adobe should be easy enough as well.

The good news is I have all my programs still (video games / misc software etc)
Bad news is I need to re-DL SP2 & SP3 and the internet isn't connecting anymore.

Ran out of time last night and went to bed. I'll fiddle with it some more later today when I get home.

Any ideas as to why the "FIXMBR" command worked? So it might not have been a hardware issue?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your MBR (Master Boot Record) became corrupted. Using the FIX MBR command rewrote the MBR.
As for your Sound Driver. Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager any devices with yellow marks need drivers installed. Look on your motherboard for the make and model #. Or run Speccy for the info. Then go to that MOBO manufacturers support/download drivers site for the drivers you need. Download the Ethernet driver to a Flash drive on another computer and transfer it over to this computer. Then once you have internet download the rest including the Chipset driver.
You do not need to install SP2. Just install SP3 and it will bring you up to date. Then go to Windows Update and update everything else.

Closed Thread