Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Wireless problems on Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop

This is a discussion on Wireless problems on Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just reinstalled Windows + drivers on my dad's Inspiron 8600 laptop. It's showing that I am connected to my

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just reinstalled Windows + drivers on my dad's Inspiron 8600 laptop. It's showing that I am connected to my wireless connection, but can't access the internet. All the drivers installed except the PCI modem, which I disabled because my dad has broadband. I'm pulling my hair out trying to get online to run updates. Any thoughts?

Old 03-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

have you looked in device manager to see what the wireless network adapter shows ? does it have a yellow question mark or exclamation mark by it if it is at all listed? apparently you see the wireless utility showing its connected does the wirelss router have wep encryption and you still need to setup the connection with the wep key??? or do you have zonealarm firewall ? if so disable zonealarm?

post back with results

Old 03-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Everything looks okay in Device Manager. I do have WEP encryption on my wireless router, but I've put the key in and even added the mac addy of the wireless adapter. No zonealarm firewall.

It's just strange because it's telling me it's connected to the wireless...I even have all the bars, which means I have a good connection. Just no Internet when I go to a browser.

I've decided to take it to work tomorrow and see if I can connect there. We don't have encryption, so that'll tell me if the encryption is the problem. I can also plug directly into the network there and see if I can access the Internet that way. If I can I'll go to Dell's support site and see if I can get updated drivers.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

you have tried all browsers like IE7 and firefox and same results make sure your internet protocol connection is setup for automatic detect of ip address and dns

go to wireless connection in Start>connect to> wireless connection right click on the wireless connection adn select properties then scroll down to internet protocol and select properties make sure both auto detect IP address and auto detect DNS are checked...
Old 03-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

I've tried both IE and Firefox.

I'll check the wireless properties tomorrow at work.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Registered Member

Got to work today, connected to the wireless, and went straight to the Internet. Now I'm back home, connected to my wireless, and no Internet.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Well, it was my wireless security. I disabled it and now it's working. Now I gotta figure out why the key didn't work!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

k glad you isolated the problem.....when you revisit your post with findings kindly mark your problem solved by going up to the top and click on Thread Tools and select solved.