Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Wireless network connection icon in sys tray

This is a discussion on Wireless network connection icon in sys tray within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop using XP prof shows wireless network connection icon in system tray, but my desktop computer does not show

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop using XP prof shows wireless network connection icon in system tray, but my desktop computer does not show this icon. How can I get it to show up on the desktop machine? Both are on same LAN in office.

It's helpful to have this at hand in case there is a problem with connection and you have to reconnect.

Appreciate help. My first post.

ralphchas

Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

OS: XP Pro, Vista Home Premium 64 bit, Vista Home Premium 32 bit

You wil only get the wireless icon in the system tray if you have a wireless adapter installed on your desktop.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: OS-9.22, OS-X Panther, OS-X Tiger, XP Pro SP3, Win 2K Pro SP4, Linux Umbutu 9.10, Linux Fedora 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphchas View Post
My laptop using XP prof shows wireless network connection icon in system tray, but my desktop computer does not show this icon. How can I get it to show up on the desktop machine? Both are on same LAN in office.

It's helpful to have this at hand in case there is a problem with connection and you have to reconnect.

Appreciate help. My first post.

ralphchas
I assume that your desktop is not wireless, but you can have it display a connection icon in the system tray when it's connected. It will not look like the wireless connection icon, but it will function in the same manor.

Go into network connections, right click on local area connection, select the box that says display icon in system tray when connected. Click OK

That should do it for you.

Jim.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Please excuse my lack of experience and knowledge regardinhg this situation. I must be wireless since I don't have anything plugged into a tel line, right? I dont know what you mean by having a wireless connection on the desktop. Both my computers are on the same LAN and using the same wireless connection, so I dont understand why one shows the wireless connection icon in the sys tray and the other does not. We have a DHL wireless connection and a local LAN with 5 computers on it. Apprec if you can assist.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

I did what JimBoCol said but no result.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

OS: OS-9.22, OS-X Panther, OS-X Tiger, XP Pro SP3, Win 2K Pro SP4, Linux Umbutu 9.10, Linux Fedora 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphchas View Post
Please excuse my lack of experience and knowledge regardinhg this situation. I must be wireless since I don't have anything plugged into a tel line, right? I dont know what you mean by having a wireless connection on the desktop. Both my computers are on the same LAN and using the same wireless connection, so I dont understand why one shows the wireless connection icon in the sys tray and the other does not. We have a DHL wireless connection and a local LAN with 5 computers on it. Apprec if you can assist.
The wireless icon will only display on a system that has a wireless connection.

Wireless means that you are connecting to the internet via a wireless Access point or Wireless router. You can have every computer sharing this connection. When I refer to wired connection, I am talking about your LAN. you do have a cable plugged into your network port of your computer right?

Try this.
Start>Connect to>show all connections.

A window will open showing all of your connections. If you have a wireless connection, it will be there, lf not, that means that you do not have a wireless device on that particular system. If there is a Wireless Connection, right click on that, and select the box that tells it to display an icon in the system tray when connected. If there is no wireless connection, right click on Local Area Connection, and select the box that says to display icon in system tray when connected.

Click OK, and that will save the changes.

You know what the wireless icon looks like, the Local Area Icon looks like two small computers, and when data moves through, the lower one will light up for recieve, and the upper one will light up for send, although, it could be visa versa, I don't remember exactly. At any rate,. one is for send, and one is for recieve.

Jim.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Registered Member

JomBoCol: Thanks for your lengthy reply. I found out that the 3 computers in the office ARE connected by cable. The other 2 laptops, in diff. location, are wireless. I did not know that. So....it appears that all is well. I have the LAN icon in the system tray which applies to the cabled connection I have and it works OK.

Many thanks for clearing that up.

Regards,

Ralph