Not open for further replies.

WinXP boot up problem

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Meztiso 
#1 · (Edited)
hi, can anyone help me please and thankyou

windows xp wont boot up, well in normal mode anyways... =s

it would boot up to the splash screen then go black...doing nothing

hd busy LED is on

last night it was fine, and i wasnt messing around with any files, not even dlls

the only thing that i did that was significant was helping a friend with remote assistance, i did not install or modify anything

i am quite puzzled because i cant diagnose the problem, which i usually can, and this is the first time that winxp OS crashed on me

im on in safe mode, that may mean there is a corrupt dll or driver, but as i said i did not install or modify anything

should i just like restore or what?

thanks for the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
May-be

There's a certain voice inflection I want to convey when I say "May-be", but can't think of how to do it.

Anyways, yes System Restore is a good place to start cause it's easy and you can "undo" it if necessary.

But there are some things System Restore can't fix, like malware, hardware issues, etc..

But that doesn't sound like your problem.

Another option, since you can get into Safe Mode, is to use "Start>Run>MSCONFIG" and turn some stuff off selectively.

I would start with the newest, the "riskiest" (meaning in your opinion most-likely to be causing the problem) and the "least critical" items off first, and see if the problem goes away.

If it does, you have defined the "class" of the problem, and have taken a significant step toward determining exactly what's causing the problemo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.