Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP welcome screen black, not loading desktop.

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Michael_Larsen 
#1 ·
I have 2 hard disks, 80 Gb and 500 gb which are both compatible with the rest of the computer.

The OS was initially installed in the 80GB drive and was working fine till I got a message on startup saying it had failed the S.M.A.R.T test and crash was imminent. So I loaded XP onto the the 500GB disk and removed the 80GB disk. Everything was working fine except on start up I was given two OS to boot from, the second one now obsolete since the disk was removed.

So I entered the System Configuration Utility and using the "Check All Boot Paths", (made a system restore point before this) deleted the option that no longer was in use and rebooted the system. Except that upon loading desktop it rebooted within a minute.
I tried restoring using system restore but the same problem continued. So I tried repairing my installation using the Windows XP CD. After it did a repair, and upon boot and installing in place of the 'Welcome' screen, the screen turns black. However I have control over the mouse pointer. But Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Ctrl-Esc or right click, nothing of this sort works. Even booting in safe mode leads to the same result, except the black screen has 'Safe Mode' written in the corners.

Kindly advise, using Windows XP Media Center Edition.

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like your system is already set to boot from CD. Perhaps you should try reinstalling Windows on the new drive. That way your MSCONFIG issues would be settled, the OS would now recognize your new configuration, and it sounds like you might have a video issue although it could just be a corrupt install. I'd suggest trying a reinstall of XP.

Good day.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.