Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP SP2 32bit & ???

765 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  deleted122510 
#1 · (Edited)
My current OS is Windows XP SP2 32bit, and it has no issues, can boot fine, sounds great, videos great, it boots fast, etc. I have no issues with it at all.

I'm thinking of dual-booting but I'm not entirely sure what I should dual boot along side my current OS. I definitely don't want Ubuntu 8.10 32bit, I've had it and it didn't do anything for me.

My hardware isn't equipped to handle Mac or any Apple OS's.

Is there any good OS's out there besides Windows XP SP2 32bit? I haven't been able to find any. Also, I'm willing to explore more Linux OS's, but not Ubuntu or any of it's previous versions.

Is there any "unknown" OS's out there that are good and you're able to dual-boot with?

PLEASE NOTE: I need a 64-bit OS!

#2 ·
Suse 11.0 is a very good 64 bit OS. I have played with 20 to 30 variations of Linux and out of all of them I go for Puppy Linux 4.2 (32 bit), Slitaz 2.0 (32 bit) I judge them by trying to imagine what a first time user would think of them. Both come on a live cd and this is probably the way to try before taking the big leap. Out of the two Slitaz has the easiest setup, i.e it configures the internet (wired) as it loads, so you can surf .
Suse 11.0 is very slick and professional compared to any other Linux I have come across.
Be aware Linux often requires drivers to be installed manually and it can be VERY confusing if you don't know what your doing. Be prepared for a BIG learning curve.

#4 ·
Have you tried Ubuntu U.E (ultimate edition)?
Comes with lots of extra goodies.

Comes with all those small things missing from the original ubuntu 8.10 i.e mp3 codecs, wine and quite a bit more.

P.S I still prefer the basic 8.10 for it's simplicity and feel good look :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.