Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Windows XP sound volume too low

This is a discussion on Windows XP sound volume too low within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am using Windows XP with 2.1 speakers (stereo plus subwoofer). It worked well for a few weeks, then the

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am using Windows XP with 2.1 speakers (stereo plus subwoofer). It worked well for a few weeks, then the volume became very low. I'm not sure why I lost volume, but I'd like it back! This happened once before, but seemed fine again after a while. (Not very scientific. I have no idea what has changed.) Please help! Thank you.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #2

Double click the Volume Icon in your System Tray and make sure the main volume and WAVE are all the way up and nothing is muted. then go to Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Speaker/Advanced and choose your speaker type. Also make sure Speaker Volume is all the way up.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Spke, Thanks for the reply. I've already tried those things. Volumes are maxed, no mutes, etc. Whatever changed is more subtle than that. Anything else come to mind?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #4

Go to your Sound properties for your particular sound card. Either in the System Tray or Control Panel adjust volumes there . Make sure all speakers are plugged in, the volume on your bass bin is all the way up etc. Make sure your Playback device under Sound Properties is your sound card and not the default motherboard sound.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks again, Spike, for getting back to me. Still no joy. This is an older computer -- an HP m380n running Windows XP Media Center Edition. The sound is onboard -- Realtek AC97 Audio. There has been no hardware change, but it worked well for a few weeks. (It also worked a few months ago, then stopped, then worked again when I moved the system. I'm sure it's not a loose connection. Anyway... Anyone got any ideas?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #6

Open the Realtek audio Icon in your System Tray. choose the Sound Manager and adjust settings there. Then Right click Realtek and go through the options.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hi Spike, There is no Realtek icon.