Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Windows XP keeps rebooting before welcome screen, can only get into safe mode

This is a discussion on Windows XP keeps rebooting before welcome screen, can only get into safe mode within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. As stated in the title, i start my computer it gets to the Windows XP screen, then before it gets

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

As stated in the title, i start my computer it gets to the Windows XP screen, then before it gets to the welcome screen it reboots, and keeps rebooting, the only way i can get onto windows on that hard drive is in safe mode, since i can get in, i can post a hijack this log or whatever i need to do, i am trying to retrieve my address book from the hard drive with the problems, but i am unsuccessful, anyone know what i can do to stop the constant reboot?

Any help will me much appreciated.

Jim

Old 02-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

To stop the reboot “loop”:

Control panel>system>advanced>settings (under startup and recovery)> uncheck the “automatically restart” box under “system failure”

Yuo'll still have to enter safe mode to boot, but it won't keep booting

Since you suspect malware:

On this page, right above your original post, is another box. In the right hand corner of that box, you’ll see welcome kellyjim. Above that you will see "first steps" in small red letters. Click on that and you will be good to go.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

I did that, then rebooted, got a stop screen,

Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xf4e0e4d0, 0xf9e7d8ec, 0xf9e7d5ec)

God i have no clue. It said something about drivers but i dont know, thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations
Old 02-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

To be honest i really dont know what to do, i have no idea where to find the drivers to uninstall, i did change some things and got a new message.

Stop: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF4E254D0, 0XF9E7D8EC, 0XF9E7D5EC)

VSDATANT.SYS- ADDRESS F4E254D0 BASE AT F4E13000 DATESTAMP 43798224

I have no idea what it means, if anyone here does, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Progress already. An error message is good. Don’t get hung up on drivers yet, nor malware (both possibilities) Let’s clarify some things.

Can you still boot into safe mode?

What were you doing or had done just prior to when the problem started. Installing software, hardware,running virus scan, anything?

What did you change to produce the new error message.

VSDATANT.SYS refers to zone alarm? Do you have it installed?

If you can still enter safe mode, and suspect malware, do the first steps: http://www.techsupportforum.com//security-center/virus-trojan-spyware-help/inactive-malware-help-topics//15968-please-read-before-posting-hijackthis.html. If you can no longer enter safe made, try and undo your changes. If you still can’t enter safe mode, answer the above and post back
Old 02-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwm54112
Progress already. An error message is good. Don’t get hung up on drivers yet, nor malware (both possibilities) Let’s clarify some things.

Can you still boot into safe mode?

What were you doing or had done just prior to when the problem started. Installing software, hardware,running virus scan, anything?

What did you change to produce the new error message.

VSDATANT.SYS refers to zone alarm? Do you have it installed?

If you can still enter safe mode, and suspect malware, do the first steps: http://www.techsupportforum.com//security-center/virus-trojan-spyware-help/inactive-malware-help-topics//15968-please-read-before-posting-hijackthis.html. If you can no longer enter safe made, try and undo your changes. If you still can’t enter safe mode, answer the above and post back
Yes i can boot into safe mode
I was having problems with my internet connection
To produce the new error message i uninstalled the drivers for my creative labs webcam
zone alarm yes i do have it on that drive

now let me know what to do next, you are a great help, too bad i cant donate to the site or something.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Do the first steps

Post back in this thread

This link is in several of the moderators signatures:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/donate.php
Old 02-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

ive run adaware, and spybot, removed all the spyware and ads and bots, still can only get on in safe mode
Old 02-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
Registered Member

Sounds like a bad driver if youre still booting okay into safe mode.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #11
Registered Member

http://groups.google.com/group/TheGeeksAreHere
Old 02-16-2006, 03:24 AM   #12

ok then

we need the complete specs of your system including detailed info on the

power supply, which you will take the side off for, and do a complete

cleaning of the cpu fan, case fan, psu fan.. ect.

while your in there you will remove 1 ram stick and try it, then again with the other.

caution
unplug the machine and ground yourself by grabbing onto the metal computer case to discharge any static electricity before working in the box.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:05 AM   #13
Registered Member

Just so you know, i have another hard drive on here that was empty, when all this happened, i installed windows on that drive, that is how i am jumping back and forth on the computer, right now as i post this i am on the problem drive in safe mode, the other drive is working perfectly.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

ZA is a firewall. Generally adaware covers adware only, spybot handles spyware only, I still see no mention of virus scans Still an issue

VSDATANT.SYS refers to zone alarm. Stop: 0X0000007E generally refers to driver/hardware conflict. The two together are usually associated with installing new hardware or software. The fix seems to be un-installing zone alarm, deleting all traces and references to it, install and configure hardware, then re-install zone alarm. Simply disabling za is not sufficient.

This may be your fix, but is unclear because of the change in error when you uninstalled the creative drivers. We don’t know if this is the root issue or not.

Run the virus scans. Uninstall za

I am heading for using msconfig. Enabling bootlogging, examining that log and event viewers for clues. Then diagnostic startup, selective start up and then disabling group of drivers and processes until we find the issue at fault.

Follow whosdat’ s advice. Someone may see a known conflict as the msconfig route can get tedious.

Khalidirfan’s link is excellent but it does not apply in safe mode. No error codes will be generated because the conflicting device is not in use

Please excuse lengthy posts. I don’t fix problems. I try to teach you how to fix problems yourself while we are fixing your problem.

bill
Old 02-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #15
Registered Member

thank you so much for your help bill
Old 02-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
Registered Member

Bill, would you freaking believe that this whole problem was caused by zone alarm, i went and did what you said, got rid of it and then put it back in and now everything is fine, thank you sooo much for helping me, my wife is 6 months pregnant and she was about to kill me cuz she thought i blew the thing up. Donations are coming.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

Congrats on the baby and the working computer
Old 02-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks, i have a set of twin boys that are 2 and a girl on the way, and thank you again for all your advice.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
Registered Member

Sounds like you got a snoot of the infamous "Anti Virus Pro 2009" it's a MF to get out and if it is at the reboot stage, (that you are in), you are F***ED!
Sorry Pal, but the only way that I have found is to pull the hard drive to get to your stuff.
You will have to buy one of these,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156017

USB-DSC5 Serial ATA (SATA) Cable Converter Adapter and use a 2nd PC or laptop.

And then it's time to reformat that sucker,make sure you get a good Anti virus program like Malwarebytes and Avast, install both, that's the only ones that work for me, other wise it will happen again....

If there is a better way please let me know??!
Best of luck,

RodKnowsBest