Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP Home Won't boot past the "Windows XP" splash screen

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  LilDave 
#1 ·
Ok! My friend told me her mouse(ps/2) was not working all the time so I advised her to buy another mouse. However, she didn't advise me unitl later that it has also started smoking before it went out completely. She purchased a new mouse(usb of course) and windows kept telling her mouse was not detected, even though there was a usb mouse installed in the computer. The computer was still working though.

So I went to her house to check on the error message. I went to check set up and found the option for "PS/2 Mouse" set to auto detect-which is what it should have been set to, right? Well, I placed the "USB Mouse" in a different usb slot and windows kept restarting. I put it back into the slot she had it in and the same thing (windows kept restarting). I selected last known good configuration, safe mode, and start windows normally and they all kept restarting the computer. I then gave her another ps/2 mouse I had laying around the house, with other computer parts. I put it into one of my systems with Win XP Home, before taking it to her and it worked just fine. Not in her system though, it still kept restarting.

Finally, I removed the hdd and took it to my house to recover her information on it. After which, I took it back, reinstalled it and inserted my Win XP Home installation CD to repair her copy of windows. I was unsuccessful because it kept asking for the administrators password and I am the administrator, but it would not accept my password. So I decided to reinstall the OS. The first part completed successfully and then windows went to restart and the same thing happened, it stopped at the Win XP splash screen again.

Is it the ps/2 port on the keyboard causing this? It the mobo going out? I simply don't know. It is an old dell w/a pentium III. It had 128mb of ram and I upgraded it to 512mb. The hdd is a 40gb drive. It has been running fine until this mouse issue.

Can someone help me with this? Give me something else to try or is it a lost cause?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.