Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Windows XP Automatic Mute Problem

This is a discussion on Windows XP Automatic Mute Problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I press the left control button (only the left one), my sound automatically mutes. It is the windows Master

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

When I press the left control button (only the left one), my sound automatically mutes. It is the windows Master Volume that is being muted. If I leave the master volume control open I see that the checkbox "Mute All" becomes filled when i press the control button. I would like to disable this shourtcut key feature and I have so far been unable to find any way to do so in the volume options. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

This may be a setting on your keyboard software (if you have keyboard software installed) or a setting on your sound card.

Can you describe both to us, please? Somehow the CTRL key has been assigned this shortcut function, and this must have been done with some type of software associated with one of the above pieces of hardware.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

The problem was in the keyboard. I plugged in a different keyboard and the CTRL button no longer muted. After trying the new one, I plugged the old one back in. Now caps lock opens up a search bar and CTRL still mutes. I must have activated some sort of hotkey feature on the keyboard. Thanks a lot for the help. I'll just check the keyboard manual to see how to disable the hotkeys. Once again, your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

It figures.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'm having the exact same problem, only I don't have another keyboard to use while I fix it. It started a couple weeks ago when I noticed the sound disappearing in WoW while using the wardrobe function. I'm using a Microsoft Internet keyboard and don't have any keyboard software installed. I've been using this keyboard and with WoW for months before it happened.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralkoala View Post
I'm having the exact same problem, only I don't have another keyboard to use while I fix it. It started a couple weeks ago when I noticed the sound disappearing in WoW while using the wardrobe function. I'm using a Microsoft Internet keyboard and don't have any keyboard software installed. I've been using this keyboard and with WoW for months before it happened.
I had the same problem with my K-Board and I fixed it the old fashion way, I banged my keyboard against my desk and voiala! problem solved.