Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows will not recognize External Drive

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  Mwebb 
#1 ·
I have 2 Lacie External Drives which work fine on one of my PC's running Windows XP. However, they will not install on my other PC also running Windows XP. This other PC also has problems with some memory sticks. Windows Update is up to date.

I am using the same cables and I have power to the drive. I am plugging into rear USB ports on my tower.

When I plug in the USB I get a message for new hardware detected. Windows goes through the process of installing new hardware and when complete I get a message telling me that the item was not installed. The drive does not appear in Windows Explorer.

If I go to Device Manager the drive appears with a yellow question mark.
:4-dontkno

Help would be much appreciated.

#8 ·
For your reference, I discovered that by hitting F5 at Startup I was in the Windows Advanced Options Menu. This gave me an option to Startup by selecting:

"Last Known Good Configuration - Your Most recent settings that worked."

Keyboard then worked to type in Password.

I must add that whilst the keyboard would not operate at Windows Login, it did work for this startup option.

#11 ·
Make sure you have the right power adapter attached. (in correct voltage would cause this problem) Put the power adapter directly into a wall socket and not through a surge protector or extension cord (weak power would cause this problems) If the Hardware Wizard fails. Go to Device Manager and under USB see if there is an Unknown Device, If so, right click and uninstall it, and pull the USB cable out the back of the computer and restart the computer. When it is fully booted, making sure it is powered by the wall, plug in the USB cable to the back USB port directly (no Hub).

#13 · (Edited)
If you had a PS2 port you could get a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse, then you could uninstall all of the USB in the Device Manager (as suggested previously), go into the Bios and disable anything USB and boot the computer. Once logged in restart the computer and go into the Bios and Enable USB restart and when logged in it should rebuild the USB controllers. Other then that, that USB port may be too weak to pick up anything other then a keyboard or mouse. You can try a PCI USB 2.0 card

#14 ·
Many thanks for the tips. Seems like I have a dud machine here? I would not have thought the USB could be too weak to pick up on a Memory Stick?

If I disable my password into Windows, could I not then delete all USB's? I could also maybe delete all but the one the keyboard uses and try the others for Ex. Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.