Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Windows was unable to complete the disk check" Stuck on Phase 2

57K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
I reformatted my computer about 4 weeks ago. Every week I've been doing routine maintenance. Ad/spy/virus check, follow by cleaning of Internet temp files, cookies etc etc.

After that I would do a scan disk and the last 4 weeks has been ok, it completed to phase 3.

Now for some reason it doesn't complete phase 2.

Anyway ideas?

Windows XP, Service pack 3 installed.

#2 ·
Hmmmm? I just cleared the cache, cookies, etc on firefox which is the default browser I use. Clicked scan disk and it completed pass phase 3.

What the is the relationship between clearing cache, cookies etc that makes scan disk work?. Because it seems I have to clear all those date before scan disk can be completed. Why?

I would have thought clearing cookies, history temporary files via control panel > Internet options > general clears all the data but it seems I have to clear it through firefox too? Why?

What the is the relationship between clearing cache, cookies etc that makes scan disk work?

Another thing. As I managed to complete scan disk. I decided to re check it just incase, at this point I was surfing the net reading some emails, etc and scan disk did not complete.

WHY???

#3 ·
I think you need to be running scandisk offline

and while surfing yes it probably wont beable to finish

the scan. There is no relationship between cookies temp files,

concerning scandisk. Scandisk checks sectors and errors on harddrive.

internet options under control panel is for Internet explorer

Firefox is a separate browser and yes it will require you to clear cookies,

temp files and ect...... here to. Just alittle advice here to save you a little

time, Firefox has settings built in to it so you can have all those files cleared

automatically everytime firefox closes.

to get tto those settings, click on tools tab up at top of browser and click

on private data.

#21 ·
yes
when you start getting bad sectors it is time for a hard drive replacment,they breed like rabbits
chkdsk repairs the file system which can become corrupted for a number of different reasons
i.e.
shutting down the computer manually and not waiting for windows to finish shutting it down is the most common

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.