Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dman51 
#1 ·
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM missing or corrupt file. Trying to get Dell PC to boot up,gives me above error message.Dell Dimension 4500S(service tag:6B3DM11),had The Computer Guy look,said MB is fried? I had it up a couple times,now...3.5 floppy seems to still work,CD/DVD not working, have external CD/DVD drive,PC doesn't see it at this time. Tried using Win98 PC,sees both CD drives but error msg. reads "not ready/not accessible,tried installing external drive onto it,no go there.USB don't seem to be working,except for the mouse on the Dell. What to do? replace CD-RW in Win98 PC,have file for Dell to fix the CD drive in it.

#3 ·
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM missing or corrupt file
Boot into Setup (Bios) make sure the HDD is listed as well as the CD rom drives. If not, unplug one CD rom drive. As or the error message, This could mean that the Windows files are corrupt, or that the HDD is failing.
Pull the HDD out of the computer and attach it to another computer either internally to a desktop, or via a USB Adapter or put it into a USB Enclosure with a power adapter. If the HDD doesn't spin up, then it has failed.
As Sobeit suggested, you can unplug the computer, pull the CMOS battery out, wait 15 minutes and put it back in. The boot into Setup (Bios) and set the Bios to Defaults.

#4 ·
Thanks,I tried changing the flat round battery,I'm trying another method,I copy files to a CD from this PC then take the CD and place in an win98 PC that has a 3.5 floppy drive(since the 3.5 floppy drive works in the Dell PC),I my just have to get a new mother-board for the Dell($120?). But may still have the system32 problem,so I'll try fixing that with the 3.5 floppy with boot up,and the needed file.

#5 ·
You can buy a new/used computer for the same price as it would cost to replace the motherboard, processor, and RAM probably the PSU as well.
If you swap out the motherboard, you will be installing a fresh version of Windows from the CD and it will not have a Windows missing file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.