Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

<windows root>\system 32\hal.dll is missing

This is a discussion on <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll is missing within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hal.dll is missing, i tried to follow the instructions here http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...ng-171624.html also ran chkdsk, it said that one or more

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

hal.dll is missing, i tried to follow the instructions here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...ng-171624.html
also ran chkdsk, it said that one or more problems occured but nothing seemed to have changed. now if someone could help me with this cause the case there with this other file seemes to be a bit different...

Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...torehaldll.htm

Old 05-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

well now it got even worse, the recovery console doesn't anymore give me an option of which windows windows directory i want to repair, and when i want to change directory or anything its 'access denied'
Old 05-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Registered Member

thanks for the link though
Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Then you could try booting from your XP CD and performing a repair, or reinstall XP.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

i was tryin to boot from cd and use recovery console and i can't install b'cause hal.dll
Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

If it won't boot from CD, then you have a bad CD or your CDROM is failing. Both of which can cause the file not to be read from the disc. Since is it always the same file, I'd lean towards a bad CD (ie: scratched or dirty).
Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #8

If you can't boot from your Windows Boot CD, then go to another computer with a burner and make an ISO image of your boot CD and burn the image to a new disc. Also try a different CD drive.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

wat do u mean by 'different CD drive'?
and i can't believe the cd is corrupt cuz i used it like a week ago and it was perfect
Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

'different CD drive' = a different CDROM drive or burner

And the disc isn't likely to be "corrupt" as the data can't be changed after it's written. The problem is that it isn't reading properly. The two most likely causes, are a dirty/scratched CD or a bad CDROM drive. It could also be RAM or motherboard. But issues such as the CDROM or other hardware issues, the error would be more random. So each time you tried, you would likely get a different file not readable. The fact that it is the same file each time, would indicate a read error where that file is stored.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Nothing points to a faulty drive or CD yet.

If this is a retail installation of Windows (you got a regular XP CD, not a recovery CD) then boot on the XP CD, don't press 'R' to access the recovery console at the first screen but instead press 'Enter' to "setup widows XP now". Press F8 to accept the licence, select your current windows installation and press 'R' to "repair the selected installation". If the option isn't there report here with more details, like the brand and model of your computer (OEM installations often don't allow for a repair install).

Before you start the repair process, if your XP CD is from a previous service pack than what's installed on your computer (for instance if the XP CD is an XP SP1 or SP2 CD and you have SP2 or SP3 installed) then you'll need to slipstream the latest service pack on your XP CD. Follow this guide :
SP2 : http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
SP3 : http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

If your current installation of Windows doesn't appear in the list after you pressed 'enter' to setup windows xp now then it may be better to take the hard drive out of your computer and hook it in another computer to backup your personal data. If the XP CD can't detect an older installation trying to repair it could overwrite your current user account.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Registered Member

no there isn't that option. hp pavilion dv5000, xp pro (sp2 i think)
Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

If you're using a regular XP CD to do the repair install you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD or it won't detect your hard drive.

Which one of the dv5000 is it ? Look for the exact model id (number 1 on the service tag) at the bottom of the notebook :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...=en&dlc=&cc=us

Fastest solution is to buy an external USB enclosure for 2.5'' drives (20$ on newegg), unscrew the drive bay at the bottom of your notebook, place the drive in the enclosure, backup your personnal data then place the drive back in your laptop and use the HP recovery CD to reinstall from scratch (if you didn't get a recovery CD with the laptop you can order one here for free).

If you still want to try the repair installation then once you've found what chipset your model uses you need to extract the sata/raid driver and slipstream it on the XP CD. Read this guide, it provides all the informations you need : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-installation/
Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

If you're using a regular XP CD to do the repair install you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD or it won't detect your hard drive.

Which one of the dv5000 is it ? Look for the exact model id (number 1 on the service tag) at the bottom of the notebook :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...=en&dlc=&cc=us

Fastest solution is to buy an external USB enclosure for 2.5'' drives (20$ on newegg), unscrew the drive bay at the bottom of your notebook, place the drive in the enclosure, backup your personnal data then place the drive back in your laptop and use the HP recovery CD to reinstall from scratch (if you didn't get a recovery CD with the laptop you can order one here for free).

If you still want to try the repair installation then once you've found what chipset your model uses you need to extract the sata/raid driver and slipstream it on the XP CD. Read this guide, it provides all the informations you need : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-installation/
Old 05-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #15
Registered Member

dv5235ea is the model. now i tried to install another windows on the drive in a different folder and finally it said that setup has determined that drive c: is corrupted and cannot be repaired. setup cannot continue.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

If you had been able to successfully reinstall windows in a different folder you would probably have lost all your personal files. You shouldn't attemp to reinstall on the same drive if you still need some data that's in your user's documents folders since a new installation will create a new user account, sometimes over the old one.

Since the drive is corrupt do this :

1) take the drive out, use an external enclosure and hook it on another computer. See if you can browse your files and recover what you can. If you can see your files and folders but get an access denied error message then read this to learn how you can take ownership of those files and folders.

2) if you can't access your files at all (the partitions won't appear, or the partition appears empty) then install some good data recovery program on the other computer and see what it can restore. Save all the restored data on another drive, don't write anything on the failing drive or you could overwrite the data that's not been recovered yet. Here are some good programs :
Find and mount (free, to recover lost partitions)
Active @ Undelete
PC Inspector
R Studio
GetDataBack
Recover it all

3) Once you've backed up your data place the drive back in the laptop and run the hdd manufacturer's diagnostic utility on it : get the brand and model of the drive on the sticker that's on it, find the related diagnostic utility here, create the DOS bootable CD and run the long/extended test on the drive. Report with the results.

Closed Thread