Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Windows NT has found only 495K of low memory. 512K of low memory is required to run..

This is a discussion on Windows NT has found only 495K of low memory. 512K of low memory is required to run.. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm posting in the XP forum because I was under the impression that I had/have windows XP. The complete message

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm posting in the XP forum because I was under the impression that I had/have windows XP. The complete message is

"Windows NT has found only 495K of low memory. 512K of low memory is required to run Windows NT. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer"

The computer is a 2001 or 2002 Dell Rev. A03, It won't load windows and I can't seem to access any boot menu. I have not made any changes to the computer's hardware.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Windows XP is of the Window NT File System (NTFS) family. Download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests with ONE stick of RAM in at a time. testing individually. If you get any errors, that stick is bad and needs to be replaced.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Management Team Networking

This is a low memory error not related to the file system.

Low memory refers to the memory allocation below 1meg ie. the original 640kb

It would appear this machine either had most of its memory removed or most of its memory has failed. You should see a bios summary screen that lists how much memory the machine has. If not you can see it in the bios.

Good suggestion to test your memory.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
Registered Member

I did the test and both sticks passed. What part of the computer would be defective exactly?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #5

How much memory did the test say you have?
How does this compare to the bios summary screen?
When exactly does this error occur?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Unplug any USB devices other then Keyboard and Mouse. AS Wand3r3 suggested, Boot into Setup (Bios) How much RAM is showing up there? Now set the Bios to Defaults (usually F5) then Save and Exit.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

According to MemTest : L1 cache 8k and L2 cache 256 k

According to Bios : Cache RAM 256 k
Memory bank 0 256 MB
Memory bank 1 512 MB

After powering up the the first screen where I hit delete to enter setup appears, since this problem started it usually flashes by too fast to do anything even if I'm pressing the delete button repeatedly.

Next comes the "Alert! front panel audio cable not detected" as it has for for the past few years then immediately followed by "Windows NT has found only 495K of low memory. 512K of low memory is required to run Windows NT. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer"

I should add that all my keyboards have an F lock that doesn't seem to work until windows has booted up so any alternatives advice for getting around that is also appreciated.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

I think this might have slipped through the cracks, bump?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The L1 and L2 cache are your motherboard Bios memory.
Run Memtest with ONE stick of RAM in at a time. If there is any RED at the bottom of the screen (errors) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced. Test each stick individually.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

I would suggest you bootup on a bootable floppy or cd and examine the drive. Do you see the boot files ntdetect, ntldr and boot.ini at the root of the drive?

If ntldr is corrupt you will get that message
Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephlapod View Post
According to MemTest : L1 cache 8k and L2 cache 256 k

According to Bios : Cache RAM 256 k
Memory bank 0 256 MB
Memory bank 1 512 MB

After powering up the the first screen where I hit delete to enter setup appears, since this problem started it usually flashes by too fast to do anything even if I'm pressing the delete button repeatedly.

Next comes the "Alert! front panel audio cable not detected" as it has for for the past few years then immediately followed by "Windows NT has found only 495K of low memory. 512K of low memory is required to run Windows NT. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer"

I should add that all my keyboards have an F lock that doesn't seem to work until windows has booted up so any alternatives advice for getting around that is also appreciated.
I did run the sticks individually, 3 times each.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
I would suggest you bootup on a bootable floppy or cd and examine the drive. Do you see the boot files ntdetect, ntldr and boot.ini at the root of the drive?

If ntldr is corrupt you will get that message
Can you please elaborate on the first part? After a quick google search I'm still not sure what to do here.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
If there is any RED at the bottom of the screen (errors) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced
You didn't say, so I would assume that Memtest tested the RAM and there were no errors?
As for what Cephlapod suggests, download either the ISO image for Seatools, or Drive Fitness in my signature and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and the Advanced tests on the HDD.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
Registered Member

I ran both the advanced and quick tests with drivefitness and they both said "operation completed successfully" disposition code 0x00.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

See if you can do a Bios Update for your motherboard.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #16
Registered Member

I have the latest bios version, should I do it anyways?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
- Microsoft Support

You mention that you've made no hardware changes, have you made any software changes? Boy this brings back memories of managing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files in early DOS and Windows days to manage what stuff was being loaded prior to the OS. You didn't load any real old games or anything did you?

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Registered Member

I'm trying to remember, I don't believe I've loaded any old games recently that were not already installed for at least a few months.

If the hard drive passed drivefitness could i just stick it in a newer computer and run everything off of the newer computer's os or will the copy windows on the drive interfere with the newer computer?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you pull the Hard Drive out of the computer and attach it to a computer as a Slave drive or with a USB Adapter and not the Boot drive, then yes, you can and run the programs from that drive.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #20
Registered Member

Actually I got the same problem! I have never seen this before. I got two brand new out of the box Dell T3500 that im trying to RIS. But its the same problem with both of them!?