Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Windows Movie Maker won't save movie...

This is a discussion on Windows Movie Maker won't save movie... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have tried downloading converters and codecs and movie maker will add the file to the timeline. The problem is

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have tried downloading converters and codecs and movie maker will add the file to the timeline. The problem is when i try to save it. It will go through the first the steps of the saving process until it actually starts to save the file. a message pops up saying, " windows media file cannotsave the movie to the specified location. verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving location is still available, and that there is enough free disk space available, and then try again." I MEAN, WHAT THE HECK! I have plenty of room on my hard drive and even when i try to use a usb it still says that when i have nthing on the usb! i swear i want to strangle this program... I upload my videos on my mom's computer that has windows 7 and windows LIVE movie maker and it saves fine, but i don't understand why windows movie maker on xp has to be so darn complicated! please respond A.S.A.P please(: THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

try this: Windows Movie Maker cannot publish the movie to the specified location - Microsoft Answers

Old 01-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

that didn't really help me at all...any suggestions from you?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Make sure you are logged in as an administrator and not a limited user. Make sure the location you are saving the file to has plenty of space (twice the size needed for your movie) and the file path is not too long (ex) C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Videos\Long file Name\The name of my movie. May be too long of a file path, choose to save it to the Root of the C: Drive.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

The same problem drove me nuts for a while and none of the suggested solutions made any difference.

Temporary solution which actually works was to use a free video converter to change the source files from .avi to .wmv format. (This obviously meant starting the project from scratch with the newly converted files).

My permanent solution will be to ditch Movie Maker and buy decent video editing software!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

I'm having a similar issue with Movie Maker. Since the movie I want to make will be extremely complicated, I've split the overlaying song into small segments and will join all of the movie segments with the final song at the very end when I'm about to finish the movie. I have successfully completed and saved a credits section without incident (only about 7 seconds). When I try to save the first segment (which is eight .wmv video clips), I get the generic "Windows...cannot save the movie to the specified location." message. Yes, I have verified that all of my files have not been renamed or changed location. Yes, the saving location is still available. Space required: 1.03 MB; Space Available: 10.08 GB; yes, there is sufficient room on disk. PF Usage holding slightly under 400MB.
I have a really old IBM Thinkpad T-23 with a Pentium III processor running Windows XP with Movie Maker version 2.1.4028.0. I maxed out the RAM at 1GB. I regularly clean and defrag, so no junk should be getting in the way of me saving. Before upgrading the RAM, Movie Maker hardly functioned (so much better now).
Next on my list of things to try to resolve this problem: codices. I'm really confused about how to use ffdshow. Should I have the program opened for the codices to work...? How will this fix an issue in Windows Movie Maker? Am I even on the right track here? Thanks in advance for any further assistance you can provide.