Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

windows launches normally but few things are disabled ( as if in Safe Mode )

977 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  nemanjamk 
#1 ·
First at all, sorry for my bad English and if you don't understand something.

I've windows XP and 1.2 GB of RAM.
When I turn on the PC it starts for about ~ 8 minutes and it's slow like my RAM has been disabled and my graphics driver doesn't load as if in Safe Mode. First time when it happened my resolution and everything had been restarted. If you want me to be more specific, I'll do my best in next reply.

One more thing I want you to know:
Before it happened I tried to connect my phone to the PC and it couldn't be read... I didn't know what happened, I took me by surprise 'cuz it always worked well. I tried to install it, but I was doing some things by chance so I risked and installed something I really don't know what was that :$.. some other kind of USB porting or something like that.. after its installing, windows asked me to restart my PC before the operation could take place and so I did. After a new start up happened all the things I mentioned above.

Thank you for following, hope you will find a solution.
Thanks once again!

See less See more
#2 ·
Start>(type) "msconfig" and verify that you are starting in "Normal" mode.

Turn off all non-MS services, and all startups and reboot. Report results.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager

Click "show hidden devices" and report all red & yellow-flagged devices.

Start>(type)"cmd" and at the command prompt type "chkdsk /f" and schedule a chkdsk to run on next reboot. Watch scan carefully and report if it finds & fixes any errors.

#3 ·
Start>(type) "msconfig" and verify that you are starting in "Normal" mode.
Turn off all non-MS services, and all startups and reboot. Report results.

Did this, after reboot, all the same except the things that are not loading which I disabled, of course.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
Click "show hidden devices" and report all red & yellow-flagged devices.

Yellow-flagged items with " ! ":
-Display Drivers -> NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
-Floppy disk drivers -> Unknown Device
-Mice and other pointing devices -> Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
-Non-plug and Play Drivers -> TDSSserv.sys; uacd.sys
-Sound, video and game controllers - Standard Game Port (There are two of them - but only first is marked)

Now I'm gonna do command prompt.

#5 ·
Ok, good work.

Yellow-flagged items with " ! ":
-Display Drivers -> NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
-Floppy disk drivers -> Unknown Device
-Mice and other pointing devices -> Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
-Non-plug and Play Drivers -> TDSSserv.sys; uacd.sys
-Sound, video and game controllers - Standard Game Port (There are two of them - but only first is marked)
uacd.sys is malware:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=uacd.sys&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

TDSSserv.sys is also malware:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=TDSSserv.sys&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Your video card drivers are not installed.

Uninstall all the flagged devices. If the video card drivers do not install correctly, download and install the drivers found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

What is your anti-virus software, and is it updated ? When was the last time a full scan was run ?

Report results on Device Manager uninstallations. What comes back and what does not.

You should disable the Game Port in BIOS. No one ever uses it and it's just a problem waiting to happen.

#4 ·
Start>(type)"cmd" and at the command prompt type "chkdsk /f" and schedule a chkdsk to run on next reboot. Watch scan carefully and report if it finds & fixes any errors.
Done it all.
CHKDSK verified: files, indexes, security descriptors and usn journal. It was all completed and still I have nothing to report. Nothing found and fixed. :upset:

#6 ·
uacd.sys is malware:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

-Followed the instructions, done that all.
At first system failed when tried to start up but after second time it went well.

-My video card driver was installed but it was disabled or something..

Uninstall all the flagged devices. If the video card drivers do not install correctly, download and install the drivers found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

-I uninstalled everything you said.
-My CD which I got when I bought my PC installed correctly but it was the same problem. It was again marked yellow.
-I also tried installing the driver you gave me but it's the same again.

-I have ESET NOD32 & ThreatFire. It is meant to be auto-updating.
-To be honest, I don't run full scan often, last time it was about 2 months ago.

-Current status on Device Manager:
*Display Adapters -> NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
*Floppy disk drives -> Unknown Device
& Red-marked with " x " the same Standard Game Port.

#7 ·
Ok, good work. Next time actually quote the quoted text

like this
otherwise it makes it very difficult to understand. I have about 30 active threads right now.

uacd.sys is malware:

-Followed the instructions, done that all.
At first system failed when tried to start up but after second time it went well.
I don't understand what "done that all" means. I didn't give any instructions, just informational links showing that they were malware.

-My video card driver was installed but it was disabled or something..
This doesn't make any sense either.

-I uninstalled everything you said.
-My CD which I got when I bought my PC installed correctly but it was the same problem. It was again marked yellow.
-I also tried installing the driver you gave me but it's the same again.
I don't understand this either. If it "installed correctly" then it won't be flagged yellow.

-I have ESET NOD32 & ThreatFire. It is meant to be auto-updating.
-To be honest, I don't run full scan often, last time it was about 2 months ago.
Having more than one AV software installed is a bad idea. Not only is the protection not increase, and not only do you lose system resources for no benefit, but they possibly can conflict and cause problems just like what you are experiencing. Pick one AV software and uninstall the other. Run a full scan with the one you keep and report results. I'm trying to verify that your system has no active malware on-board, and that all I need to worry about is fixing whatever sytem file damage it may have caused.

-Current status on Device Manager:
*Display Adapters -> NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
*Floppy disk drives -> Unknown Device
& Red-marked with " x " the same Standard Game Port.
I don't understand this either. Is the FX 5200 installed correctly or not ?
Is the Floppy disk drive yellow or red flagged or what ?

I suggested you turn off the standard game port in BIOS. Did you do this ? If not, why not ?

#8 ·
Yeah, sorry for bad quoting, but it is mine bad habbit.
I appreciate your help very much, I know you're busy.

Ehh, I thought you wanted me to follow these instructions and delete them.

I tell you, I installed the same graphic driver many times and it all worked well. Just install and don't touch anything further, it worked perfectly.
So I did not and it still doesn't work..
I don't get it. What caused that ? -Slowing PC, much slower start up, disabling graphics driver..

I don't understand this either. If it "installed correctly" then it won't be flagged yellow.
I'm just telling you. All went fine.

Having more than one AV software installed is a bad idea. Not only is the protection not increase, and not only do you lose system resources for no benefit, but they possibly can conflict and cause problems just like what you are experiencing. Pick one AV software and uninstall the other. Run a full scan with the one you keep and report results. I'm trying to verify that your system has no active malware on-board, and that all I need to worry about is fixing whatever sytem file damage it may have caused.
ThreatFire is a very light program, anyways, I did as you told me. Got it deleted.
I ran full scan with nod32 and it found 2 viruses.
Also when I ran the program needed for deleting the malware you showed me on google it found many malwares and deleted.

I don't understand this either. Is the FX 5200 installed correctly or not ?
Is the Floppy disk drive yellow or red flagged or what ?
I first uninstalled it. There were no icon on Device Manager at all.
When I installed it again. It was the same situation. Yellow-flagged item.
Floppy disk is yellow-flagged.

I suggested you turn off the standard game port in BIOS. Did you do this ? If not, why not ?
I don't understand. Explain me how to do that, please...

#9 ·
Okay, I'm figuring out that English is not your first language, so I'll try to be more patient.

First, there is a difference between "delete" and "uninstall". I hope you uninstalled Threatfire and did not delete it.

Also note that despite the fact that you had 2 AV programs, you still had "2" viruses found by ESET. Do you remember what they were ? Were they real viruses (trojans, whatever), or just something like tracking cookies ?

Alright, this is going to get complex. Easy one first.

Can you enter BIOS ? Normally, you do so by hitting the "del" key repeatedly immediately after power-on. If this does not work, post the manufacturer & model of your computer so I can find the specific keystroke you need to use (unless you can see it on the monitor when it powers up). Sometimes it is F2.

In the BIOS, you will find an entry labeled something similar to "Game Midi Port" or "Game Port". Set that to "Disable". This should clear the Game Port flag in Device Manager.

Your floppy drive being flagged is very odd. Is it the floppy drive, or the floppy controller ? This driver is usually found with the motherboard/chipset drivers. I'll need the manufacturer/model of the computer to find those drivers.

Has there been a recent installation of XP on this computer ? If so, that would explain the missing floppy drive and/or controller driver.

On the video card, you are saying that it was yellow-flagged, you installed the drivers and now it appears normal, but the system boot time did not improve like you would have expected ? I'm still unclear on the video card's status. Is it now normal, or yellow-flagged ?

#10 ·
Okay, I'm figuring out that English is not your first language, so I'll try to be more patient.
I've already told you about my English...

Ok. I'm gonna do that in BIOS.

First, there is a difference between "delete" and "uninstall". I hope you uninstalled Threatfire and did not delete it.
I uninstalled it, of course.

I don't remember about the viruses, I think it was something serious, like trojan. I've already told you that all malwares were deleted previously.

Your floppy drive being flagged is very odd. Is it the floppy drive, or the floppy controller ? This driver is usually found with the motherboard/chipset drivers. I'll need the manufacturer/model of the computer to find those drivers.
It is floppy drive, controller is okay.
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.00GHz.

Has there been a recent installation of XP on this computer ? If so, that would explain the missing floppy drive and/or controller driver.
Hmm, maybe 5 months ago, that was the last time.

On the video card, you are saying that it was yellow-flagged, you installed the drivers and now it appears normal, but the system boot time did not improve like you would have expected ? I'm still unclear on the video card's status. Is it now normal, or yellow-flagged ?
It is yellow flagged.
When I installed it previously it worked well. Just install, without any changes after installing.
Now, I did the same and it still remains yellow flagged...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.