Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Windows language in Symbols characters.

This is a discussion on Windows language in Symbols characters. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

My friend asked for help but I was partially able to solve the issue.

He is running Windows XP (don’t know which SP) on Sony laptop .The main OS language is English but now the entire texts including the Welcome sign is displayed in symbols. I went to the Region and language and put a check on “Install complex script and right-to-left language files “ and “files for East Asian languages “. English came back but the font was compressed and very small. Later, everything went back to symbols display.

Need some help !

I have some pictures:

Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
Enthusiast

getting strange symbols instead of the correct text in the various Windows elements is usually a sign that one or more system display fonts are either corrupt or missing from the fonts folder.

Running the System File Checker should restore them:

Start >> Run
Type sfc /scannow in the run box (leave a space between sfc and the forward-slash)
Click 'OK'

Old 09-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip22 View Post
getting strange symbols instead of the correct text in the various Windows elements is usually a sign that one or more system display fonts are either corrupt or missing from the fonts folder.

Running the System File Checker should restore them:

Start >> Run
Type sfc /scannow in the run box (leave a space between sfc and the forward-slash)
Click 'OK'
Thanks for the info pip22, unfortunately the process was asking for Windows XP cds which my friend don't have ....... but I was able just to use the build in recovery tool form Sony to reformat and go back to zero.
Thanks again.