Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Windows kept restarting problem.

This is a discussion on Windows kept restarting problem. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone. This is my first time here. My friend's computer always had this problem where the computer would sometimes

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone. This is my first time here.

My friend's computer always had this problem where the computer would sometimes restart itself. First I thought it was a virus/spyware issue, so I helped her reformatted the hard disk and reinstalled Windows XP again. But this problem still occurs (although not often) but we left it as it is because the computer was still operational.

Then after a couple of months now, her computer suddenly restarts itself whenever it just finishes loading windows. This means that she cannot even perform any tasks or checks with the computer.

I then asked her to check the CPU temperature to see if it's abnormal, but there's no problem there. I then asked her to check her RAM by taking out one of the RAM stick and start windows to see if it is RAM issues, but after doing this with both RAM sticks the problem still persisted.

So it probably has nothing to do with the RAM, it probably has nothing to do with the CPU temp and it probably has nothing to do with virus/spyware in the hard disk. So I was wondering if anyone can tell me what are the other possible causes for such a problem?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:01 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

to do a proper test on RAM you should run something like memtest. so do like you did before and leave 1 memory stick in and run this for a few cycles for a thorough test.

the other thing that might cause the pc to randomly reboot is a faulty PSU. so can you get the hold of another PSU (with sufficient power) to test it?

did you ever get a bsod, that you could search online to isolate the problem?

"it takes two to lie, one to lie and one to listen"
Homer
Old 09-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

post the system specs including the power supply details
do they receive any bsod error message or just a reboot
Old 09-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

It could be a driver problem. Has your friend installed any drivers lately?