Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Installer runs during Start up

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  speedster123 
#1 ·
I have a problem that developed sometime ago. During Windows Startup I get some instances of the Windows Installer dialog box being displayed.

The dialog box is labeled 'Windows Installer' in the box it says 'Preparing to Install' and there is a 'Cancel' button in the lower right of the box. This appears to be a standard Installer dialog except that no program is mentioned as the program being installed. They last only a few seconds and then disappear.

I run Norton internet security; my system appears to be clean.

I have heard about Windows Installer Cleanup Utility but I don't know which programs are causing the problem. I am also concerned that I would be faced with an extensive reinstallation exercise, which I would like to avoid if possible.

Please can anybody help out there!

#4 ·
I believe that I have found the cause of the problem. There were a couple of applications (a utility by Hewlett Packard used by instant support software, and a program which schedules for manual update checks for Real Networks products) that run very early during StartUp and try to access the Internet to identify updates. Thus the StartUp process is delayed whilst they attempt to gain access to the Internet. Delaying the running of these programs until after the StartUp process is complete appears to have solved the problem.

#7 ·
Some more information about my problem with Windows Installer running during Sartup.
If I run MSCONFIGSYS and then look at Event Viewer for Applications there are several Warnings regarding MsiInstaller, with an Event ID 1001.
The description is: "Detection of product '{B24E05CC-46FF-4787-BBB8-5CD516AFB118}', feature 'Complete' failed during request for component '{30466A58-8174-4ED4-9171-A4D739E84E3A}' "
If I go to the hyperlinked Microsoft support centre the response is that there is no information about this warning.

Please, can anybody help out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.