Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

'Windows Installer' keeps popping up --PLEASE HELP!

This is a discussion on 'Windows Installer' keeps popping up --PLEASE HELP! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having the same problem with windows installer popping up. I can not delete from the add/remove programs. It

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #21
Registered Member

I am having the same problem with windows installer popping up. I can not delete from the add/remove programs. It gives me the "windows installer is not installed properly" saying. I have uninstalled ALL norton/symantec and have done ALL the previous sugestions in the previous threads. I am out of ideas. Can you sugest ANY thing else?

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #22
Registered Member

Hi, I have the same problem but I've already installed AVG before. The window keeps popping-up (till now I've been interrupted writing these message more than 10 times).
I have tried what's been recommended (run/msconfig and so on) but I hasn't worked out.
Please help! It pops-up and then closes and again and again....

Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #23
Registered Member

I had the same problem with a program called Dragon naturally speaking nine preferred. Anyway... I know how to fix the problem. It's actually quite simple.
First click start... then press Run. Type in MSconfig. Click on the services tab at the top. And highlight 1 of the services. Then press the 'w' key until you see Windows installer. Uncheck the box to the left of Windows installer, then press apply in the bottom right-hand corner. Now you can close the Microsoft configuration box, but another box should pop up asking you to restart. Click restart now. When your computer turns back on it should be free of the problem. If it is not then I would contact Microsoft about the problem.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
Registered Member

Mistake

I have the same issue as the other girl except when i first start up my computer and then randomly after that as well a Windows Installer window pops up saying "preparing to Install...." when i click Cancel it says ERROR 1706 cannot proceed with product Unload...something along those lines. Whenever i try to find what is making it pop up it says "Digital Imaging" There are a few people who use this computer so one of us may have downloaded some type of Digital imaging program and something went wrong threw the download. How do i fix this problem? I would do the same steps you said to do for the other person who had simelar problems but hers were slightly different so i dont want to mess my computer up even more. Please help me i have been racking my brains out trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer.!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #25
Windows Tech Team

Hi

Do you have an HP printer or scanner? If so do you still have the CD?
Then put the CD in the drive and restart your PC. The software should be installed automatically when the "Preparing to install" screen comes up. If it asks for the location of any files point it to the CD.

Digital Imaging usually comes from HP Image Zone, A program that usually comes with HP scanners and HP printers that have scanners (PSC and All-In-One printers)