Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Windows Explorer is not starting up

This is a discussion on Windows Explorer is not starting up within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I turned on the computer and windows explorer will not load up at all. Only the background will load

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I turned on the computer and windows explorer will not load up at all.
Only the background will load and the start menu does not load and the icons don't load either.
I am only about to run programs from the task manager and going into dos.

I think my registry was changed by a virus or something. Any help I would definitely appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

What happens when you run explorer.exe from the task manager ?

Grab an XP CD with service pack 2 and run sfc /scannow (the space after sfc is important). This will run the system file checker which will replace possibly corrupt or missing system files with a good copy. It may ask for the XP CD and you need a CD with SP2 integrated if you installed service pack 2 on your computer.

If you believe this is the result of some infection then follow the HJT - 5 steps against malware link in my sig and follow carefully the instructions there. Post your final log(s) in a new thread in the hijack this section.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

I don't have an xp disc with sp 2.

I did however post in that section already and have put in my HJT result. I have not gotten any replies as of yet. I have posted over a week already.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...executing.html
Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
What happens when you run explorer.exe from the task manager ?
I type in explorer and the background blinks for about 1/2 second and you can kinda see the start menu strip on the bottom blink and then it just stays as it is.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

You have to be patient with your HJT log. Since you bumped it several times the security techs may have overlooked it but they should notice it soon or later. Best solution when you post a message in the HijackThis section is to keep all your informations in one single post, as said in the instructions from the 5 steps before posting a log. Your post will then appear as unanswered and will be easier to notice for the security techs. In this case also, when you have problems on two different computers it's better to create one separated thread for each computer. Keep that in mind for next time but please don't create a new thread right now. It's not unusual to wait a week since many people are requesting help with their logs, but if you have no answer in a day or two starting from now then send one (and only one) private message to one (and only one) security tech to tell him about your thread.

In the mean time, try to borrow some XP CD with SP2. If you have an older CD of Windows XP without SP2 then you can create an XP SP2 CD using one of these guides :
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html
You may not be able to burn a CD on a computer where explorer.exe isn't working so use another computer to create your slipstreamed CD if needed. Once you have an XP CD with SP2 run sfc /scannow. There are good chances that once explorer.exe is replaced by a good version your task bar and icons will be back.

It would be better to run a checkdisk as well in case the problem was caused by some corruption on the drive. Run chkdsk c: /F /R (provided c is the volume letter of your system drive). Answer no if it asks to unmount the volume then yes to schedule the scan at next restart and reboot the computer. Report if it found any error.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
In this case also, when you have problems on two different computers it's better to create one separated thread for each computer.
I did actually post in two separate threads, one of the moderators over there combined them.

I couldn't slipstream the cds because the xp cd I have isn't an original. I am gonna borrow one from my brother this weekend.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Yeah I just noticed that the moderator there did an error since your pandascan and your HJT log are related to two different computers. Obviously he couldn't have guessed it since you didn't state in your second thread that it was about a different computer. In the end it's no-one's fault

Try to run the sfc scan and leave your post in the HijackThis section as it is now until you receive further instructions (I know you PM'd tetonbob so just wait until further notice).
Old 11-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
Registered Member

I did run the sfc scan, I was able to get a copy of xp from my brother yesterday and it didn't make a difference at all. It just finished running and then dissapeared.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Your first thread in the HJT section has been closed in order to keep everything about this problem in one single thread. We don't allow users to create two threads about the very same problem since it's impossible to help someone properly in two threads at the same time.

Please stick to this thread. Angelfire777 has started to answer it, which means he's now subscribed to it and will give you some feedback regularly. Once you're done in the HJT section (once they tell you your log is clean) please post one message here to let me know and we'll continue from here if cleaning the infection didn't solve your explorer problem.

What you can do to speed up the process is follow the instructions from here :
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...sting-log.html.
Go through the 5 steps and post the logs in your thread in the HijackThis section. Read the instructions carefully and follow the Posting Rules in step 5. For step 1 you can run the add/remove programs utility by running Appwiz.cpl from the new task menu in the task manager.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
Registered Member

excuse me .. but i am also having a similar problem .. i tried to follow the steps in HJT but i cant open control panel .. my PC has exactly the same problems mentioned above and neither do i possess the XP SP2 cd
Old 12-13-2007, 01:45 AM   #11
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

@ msmohit004 : it's usually better to start your own thread and post a link when you think your problem is related to another thread so that we keep one thread for one user. No big deal

Skip the steps you can't do and go on with the next ones. If you can't go on the internet you can download Deckard's scanner on an USB drive and run it from there. Can you access add/remove programs by typing appwiz.cpl in start => run ?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

will do.. thanks !
Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #13
Registered Member

I have had the same problem. But when I plugged in a USB memory stick and the "what do you want to do" window came up, all of sudden all of the explorer windows [my documents, etc.] that I had attempted to open came up. And now it's working as it should. My task manager (via <ctrl-alt-del>) has not been displaying anything other than the user status, so I'm still stuck there.