Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dharmvir 
#1 ·
Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

I am running Windows XP SP3, fully updated, on an Acer lap top PC.

I have several folders full of .mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. To do this I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

The two new columns appear, but the format of the "Duration" column appears to be "hours:minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03" for most .mp3's, when what I want to see is 'hours:minutes:seconds", e.g. "00:03:45".

This also happens for video files (.avi files), e.g. all my episodes of "Heroes" (sad, I know) have a duration of "00:42" instead of "00:42:xx".

Here are two pictures showing the problem with the .mp3's. The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as "Hours:Minutes":

The second picture is of the properties window of the first .mp3 in the list above:

I copied some .mp3 files to another (old) PC on my home network, and it displayed the duration field correctly:

Also, the properties window correctly shows the duration also:

I'm not the only person to have this problem. I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago. That person also has the same problem with the duration field.

The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem. But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here, I decided to try to get help here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

SP3? is it since then?
Hi PaddyN,

No, it was like it before I installed the SP3 update.

I reinstalled XP SP2 on 14th February from my PC manufacturer's "Recovery CDs" and there wasn't a problem with "Duration" (At least, I didn't notice, and I'm sure I would have). But at some time between then and 15th March (that's when I noticed) the "seconds" disappeared from the "Duration" field.

I asked on another forum about it, but without success, and decided to live with it. But since I got such good help here with another problem, I decided to ask here for help on this problem.

do they play fine?
Yes, all MP3s - and .avi's - play OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.