Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

windows does not recognize external hard drive

17K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mike2020learnin 
#1 ·
I have a Dell Demensions 4600. I attempted to install a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus external hard drive. Upon installation I received a "windows could not load installer for HDC" error message. Once setup was finished, the hard drive is not visible under "My Computer". It is present in disk manager, and says that it is "healthy". I tried reassigning the drive letter, which did not work. The hard drive light is on, and it works when plugged in to another computer. So the problem must be with my operating system (Windows XP). I have service pack 2, and tried reloading my chip set. Can anyone help?!?

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I had already exhausted the Maxtor Support site. I also spent too much time on the phone with Maxtor technicians. Their final suggestion was to reload my operating system. I would try that, but I would want to back it up first, which I can't do without the external hard drive!

I followed the other suggested link, and tried reregistering and reloading windows installer. During the inspection phase of reloading windows installer I got a "Windows could not load the installer for hdc" error message twice more. I clicked ok each time, and than got "you have successfully completed installation". Strangely enough, I get a similar message, "Windows could not load the installer for keyboard" and also for "mouse" everytime I reboot my machine. This problem has been going on for a long time, but didn't seem to be a real problem.

This really seems to be an issue with my operating system, but I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I welcome any more insights!

#4 ·
#5 ·
Mike2020learnin you are a life saver! Thank you. I ran a repair on my os, I did not loose any data, I can now read my external hard drive, and as an added plus...I no longer get annoying messages telling me that Windows could not load the installer for mouse, keyboard, etc. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.