Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Win XP looking for non-existent disk drive

This is a discussion on Win XP looking for non-existent disk drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I have an older machine running WinXP. Since it has only 40GB disk drive, I installed some non-critical programs

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. I have an older machine running WinXP. Since it has only 40GB disk drive, I installed some non-critical programs on an external USB disk drive (drive F). As an example, I installed Adobe Acrobat on the external drive. Well, the external drive crashed, and no data can be recovered. Now when I try to reinstall the programs I lost (onto my C drive this time), they default to the external drive and won't install to C- I guess because my computer thinks the programs are still there. I can't delete the 'missing' programs using add/remove programs..it says the drive is unavailable. Can anyone tell me how to get around this problem? Can I solve this by doing a windows repair? Thanks.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi and welcome to TSF.

Windows System Restore would only be helpful if you have a restore point dated prior to the Adobe install.

Are there other programs besides Adobe involved?

regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 03-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, I did lose a few other programs...like iTunes, real arcade, and world of warcraft (my husband did NOT like that!). Was able to reinstall some of them on c, but not others. Is there any way to get rid of all these 'missing' program links in add/remove programs? Or do I just need to start fresh and reinstall windows? I'm assuming there's something in the registry that's pointing to the other disk for those programs, and I don't know if I'm up to messing with that.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi again. . .

Yes, I do imagine that the NT Registry would hold the actual drive value. I just don't know off hand given the programs involved.

One thing that I would suggest is to use CCleaner to try to uninstall the programs in question. I have used it at times to remove mere remnants of a program installation.

Here is the link:

CCleaner download

Please let me know how you make out.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Closed Thread