Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

will restore disc work on another computer?

This is a discussion on will restore disc work on another computer? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an emachine computer a little over a year old. I also had an older emachine (about 3 years

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an emachine computer a little over a year old. I also had an older emachine (about 3 years old) that bit the dust. My older computer came with all the restore discs, but my newer one did not. Can the restore discs be used on the newer computer? I talked to emachine tech support, and they said that the restore discs are model specific. They aslso told me that a restore disc would cost $20, so I am wondering are they correct with what they said, or are they just trying to get $20 from me.

My computer has been hi-jacked, and I have this tool-bar stuck on my screen. Also the desk top theme is locked, so I can not make any changes. As a last resort, I was planning to use a restore disc, to wipe everything clean, and start again completely fresh. I have already burned all important info onto discs, so the loss of all this info is no big deal.

BTW, the model of the old computer (with the restore discs) was T2882, and the model of the newer computer is T5048.

Thank you very much for any info you can provide.

Bofus

Old 04-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello Bofus

Quote:
they said that the restore discs are model specific
I`m afraid that is correct. You cannot install an OEM (emachine) system on any other machine. It is tied to the motherboard of the original system.

Your cheapest option would be to get the restore disk from them.

Of course, you could always try to clean up

Post a HijackThis log. The experts on the forum there will clean it all up for you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...this-log-help/

Read the Red sticky at the top first
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Do all you can from the instructions. If you can`t run something just miss it out and post the log anyway with a brief description of your problem

Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you Dunedin. I appreciate the response. The problem is, I have already tried to clear this up myself, and being an idiot where computers are involved, I read all the info you made mention to, and to be honest, I'm scratching my head. Its funny, I am an electronic tech, and have been for over 30 years. On my other computer, I had to do a restore a few times, so I am hoping that I can do this. Its just a hassle having to reload everything. Do you think that this "restore" will correct my problem? I am still using my computer, its just got all this advertising on the theme. When this infected my computer, it locked the theme into "ACTIVE TEXT" mode, and also disabled my virus protection. I removed this virus protection, and downloaded another virus, firewall,etc protection. When the new protection started, it found and removed a Trojan. It also said that there was an unrecognized network trying to access my computer. This I blocked. But this add crap is still there. There seems to be all sorts of tracking cookies installed on my computer. I used "spybot" to eliminate some of them, but I am sure there are more.

Thanks again for you response.

Bofus
Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

give the five step program a chance. those people can do amazing things.

As previously mention, you cannot use a restore from your older system. Something to consider since its an older system, its a different motherboard, different devices, different parts so that means different drivers. If you should use it, you might not even be able to boot the system.

You can try to do a system restore to a previously saved restore point prior to all your problems. But imo, you really need to post that hijackthis log.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html
Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

If you have problems with all the instructions before running HijackThis, just go to the last step. Download and run the program, then post your log in a new thread.

This is definitely worth a try and will save having to reload everything.

The restore CD from the manufacturer will put the system back to factory settings. If your problems are just malware it will fix all of that but you will have to set up your system again and reload everything.

I think you should get that Restore Cd anyway. You will need it one day $20 is cheap to get a clean reinstall of XP
Old 04-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thank you for your responses. I actually ordered the restore disc a week ago, just in case. I am just waiting for it to arrive. I have been trying to figure this stuff out, but maybe the thing to do is what you recommend me to try. It looks like it may take a while, so at night will be the best time. I may give it a try. Thank you so very much. Now if any of you have a TV problem, I may be able to help you.

Thanks again!

Bofus
Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

I am happy to help you Bofus

Quote:
Now if any of you have a TV problem, I may be able to help you
I`ll bear that in mind

Good luck